Aebleskiver Danish Pancakes – Little Danish pancake puffs, absolutely gorgeous and a delight in your mouth, with or without Nutella stuffing. These Aebleskiver Danish Pancakes have been on my mind lately, ever since I got this Vitumbua pan. I can’t tell you how much and I’m hoping you NEVER find out, cause you’re going to think I’m nuts. Really crazzzzy. Although I have been called that a few times. Hmmmmm. Give a sweet tooth gal a new gadget and see what happens. Remember this Vitumbua recipe here, that’s what started it all. So I quickly caved in and have been busy experimenting, researching and trying out new recipes, using this gadget. Man! It’s a difficult job but someone has to do it! And I’m glad it’s me. So is my sous-chef, you should see him all covered in nutella. We became besties over this, wished it lasted forever, nah. Nothing good last forever. After his last bite he quietly moved on to his real bestie. Video games. At least I tried; we got to bond over these nutella stuffed pancakes. This is at the top of Denmark’s most popular pastry list, make them and you will certainly understand why. They are freaking delicious! Light, melt-in-your-mouth and chocolatey, that’s if you stuff them with chocolate. A cross between pancakes and donuts -perfect for those days that you can’t decide. Can I get a woohoo!!! Oh, did I tell you the cool part? It can be stuffed with a variety of fillings, cream cheese, jam, fruit and whatever you may dream up. Try asking a few kids and hear what they come up with – No money back guarantee on the outcome, but you’ll be inspired. “Aebleskiver” in Danish means “apple slices.” Traditionally it was made with apple slices inside. The only down side is the pan, which you can easily get on Amazon for less than twenty bucks here, if you do not possess it already. However, if you can’t get your hands on a pan just use your frying pan, it’s still going to be tasty. Now if you want a gluten free and vegan option you might want to take a look at this recipe here. After making both, I can truly say this is easier to flip around in the pan, no special training needed. I don’t use two chopsticks, just one. Really easy and tasty. Give it a try! And do let me know how it works for you. Enjoy!
Watch How to Make It
Aebleskiver Danish Pancakes
- 1 cup flour all purpose
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg or cinnamon spice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest optional
- 2 Large eggs
- 3/4 cup Whole Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoon melted butter
- Nutella (about ½ cup or more)
- Combine all dry ingredients; flour, sugar, baking powder nutmeg and grated orange rind in a bowl. Set aside
- Whisk egg for about a minute, then gradually add milk and vanilla until fully combined
- Pour liquid mixture with dry ingredients, a little at a time. Mix until thoroughly combined
- Finally add melted butter and fold in. Mix is going to be a little runny but that’s ok.
- Heat aebleskiver or fry pan on medium heat, add about a ½ or more teaspoon of oil, and brush the holes with the oil.
- Make sure pan is warm enough before adding batter about ½ full. Then quickly add about ¾ of Nutella over the batter in each hole
- Add more pancake mixture over the Nutella and cover each hole.
- Cook for about 1 or 2 until bottom is golden brown - on each side, you should see the batter bubbly,then push to the side of the pan, gently and quickly flip using chopstick or fork. You may use 2 chopsticks. Continue cooking on the other side untiil golden brown
- Repeat this process until all the batter is finished.
- Let it cool slightly, dust with confectioner’s sugar and serve
Combine all dry ingredients; flour, sugar, salt, baking powder nutmeg and grated orange rind in a bowl. Set aside. Whisk egg for about a minute, then gradually add milk until fully combined Pour liquid mixture with dry ingredients, a little at a time. Mix until thoroughly combined Finally Add melted butter and Mix Pan cake batter should be a little runny Heat aebleskiver or fry pan on medium heat, add about a ½ or more teaspoon of oil, and brush the holes with the oil. Make sure pan is warm enough before adding batter about ½ full. Then quickly add about ¾ of Nutella over the batter in each hole Add more pancake mixture over the Nutella and cover each hole. Cook for about 2 minutes until bottom is golden brown – on each side, then quickly flip using chopstick. Continue cooking on the other side until brown Finished Product
Leave a Review