Asian Cashew Chicken – salty, sweet and spicy chicken dish tossed with veggies and cashews that comes ready in no time. A quick and easy family weeknight meal!
This is one of my Asian inspired chicken dishes, that I can quickly put together in less than no time that would truly satisfy anyone- well almost anyone. I selfishly threw in the cashews to the dismay of the rest of my family.
What? How could I do this? Well, sometimes it has to be about what the cook likes! you can completely remove the cashews or replace them with peanuts – what ever rocks your boat!
I am lucky to have been exposed to Asian cuisine –at least the basics, during my time waiting tables. So am not shy about putting it together or making it a staple in my household, especially coming from a different cultural background. Who can pass up on salty, sweet, spicy and moist chicken anyways?
Asian Cashew Chicken
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 pound boneless chicken thigh sliced
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup oyster sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli sauce
- 1-2 large bell pepper red or green
- 4-5 basil leaves -chopped
- In a small bowl combine, cornstarch, soy sauce, oyster sauce then add chicken, mix well. Set in the fridge.
- In another bowl combine the soy sauce, sherry, water, chicken stock, oyster sauce, cornstarch, and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Heat up the Wok with about 2 tablespoon of oil, and then add chicken let it rest for about 30 seconds before stirring. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until chicken has been fully cooked; remove and keep warm.
- Stir the onion, then add garlic, ginger chilli sauce and continue stirring for another 2 -3 minutes.
- Add the combined sauce, and basil, stir for about 2 minutes, followed by the , cashews, chicken and green onions. Stir for about 1 minute.
- Remove and serve over rice.