Baked Plantain Chips – guilt-free plantain snacks that are thinly sliced and baked int the oven with a crispy texture.
Guilt free plantain chips, anyone? Every now and then it is tricky to make your much loved dishes healthy and nutritious without compromising the taste. Why not start the New Year with a great healthy alternative snack, if you love chips. Just a regular handful of them go a long ways towards satisfying your hunger.
Plantains are one of the basic starches inWest Africa- it is very adaptable because it can either be used in preparing a savory dish, snack or dessert
These chips are baked with very little oil and deliver a very satisfying toasty crunch.
When making these chips it is important to get the correct plantains; It is should be green or slightly yellow. Dark brown plantains would not deliver crispiness. It should be used for Kelewele or dodo(deep fried plantain)
Use a mandoline, if you have one, for thin slices and even crispness. If you do not have a mandoline use a sharp knife for an even cut.
You can pair these chips with guacamole for and unbelievable taste or just dip them in pepper sauce.
Baked Plantain Chips
- 2 green or slightly yellow plantains
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- freshly ground pepper
- cooking spray or oil for coating plantains/baking pan
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line baking sheets with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Using a sharp knife cut both ends off the plantain. This will make it easy to grab the skin of the plantains. Slit a shallow line down the long seam of the plantain, peel only as deep as the peel. Remove plantain peel by pulling it back. If plantains is straight from the fridge, you can run it through hot water , to prevent ease with peeling
- Slice the plantains thinly with the help of slicer/ mandolin for consistent results
- In a bowl mix plantains, salt, paprika, and ground pepper. Toss them together.
- Place them on the baking sheets in a single layer , spray lightly over the plantains using the canola oil spray and bake, turning over slices, after 10 minutes for about 15-20 minutes or till golden brown and crunchy.
- Serve warm or cool. Store in a sealed container.
Tips & Notes:
. Watch over plantains after flipping them around, they do get brown quickly