Black Bean Soup – healthy, hearty and satisfying black bean soup loaded with layers of flavors and a good dose of beans, potatoes and other spices. Can be made completely vegan without sacrificing the taste. Absolutely waist-friendly! Sizzlingly and Sassy. Who wants a bowl?
Sometimes you just need a big bowl of a hearty soup. Saturday afternoon was one of those days for me. It was quite chilly, with a sprinkle of rain here and there and when there is rain you need to warm up. And so I decided to make this satisfying black bean soup since I had some canned beans sitting in my pantry.
How do you make the best black bean soup?
One of my favorite inexpensive and healthy recipes during the colder months is soup. And my favorite of them all is this Black Bean Soup! Bean are life! What I have for you today is a flavorful and very hearty black bean soup which doesn’t break the bank to make.
This Black Bean Soup is loaded with undeniably great flavors like, garlic, ginger, peppers, and, of course, some heat! Spice lovers use habanero pepper. I did not use it because this is a favorite of my sous chef (son) and he’s not the biggest fan of hot spice. Instead, I used a small jalapeño pepper instead.
This makes for a perfect meal for a busy winter day when you need comfort without the calories. And you know this doesn’t take hours to make. You simply have to saute the veggies along with the spices and seasoning. Then add in the beans, potatoes, broth, tomatoes, bay leaf, bouillon powder and salt and bring it to a boil. After boiling, simmer it gently for about 25 minutes or until you achieve your preferred consistency.
Can I use canned beans for this black bean soup?
Whenever I cook beans, I always cook more than what I need for the day so I can freeze the leftovers and have it on hand for busy (or lazy) days when spending time in the kitchen seems like such an arduous task. It happens to all of us (myself included).
And if you really dread boiling beans then use the canned beans instead. Be sure to rinse them thoroughly before adding them to the pot. You can also through in about a cup of sweet potatoes for additional chunkiness in your soup if you’d like.
Oh, do make this skillet cornbread to go with them. They might not be healthy but they are definitely Sexy and Sassy.
Tips and Notes:
- To make this completely vegan, you can replace the chicken bouillon powder to vegetable bouillon.
- If you want more heat in this recipe, please feel free to use habanero instead of jalapenos or a dash of chili powder.
- You certainly can use water instead of broth but the taste won’t be the same. Go for low-sodium for a healthier choice and a vegetable broth to make it completely vegan.
- To cook this in a slow cooker, saute all the aromatics first, then add it to the slow cooker together with soaked beans. Add water and/or broth ,then cook for 6-8 hours until tender. You will definitely have to adjust liquid.
Watch How To Make It
This blog post was first published in January 2015 and has been updated with photos, write up and a minor recipe adjustment.
Black Bean Soup - healthy, hearty and satisfying black bean soup loaded with layers of flavors and a good dose of beans, sweet potatoes and other spices. Can be made completely vegan without sacrificing the taste. Absolutely waist-friendly!
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 small jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 4 cups cooked black beans or 2-3 15oz. cans rinse and drained
- 1 Fresh tomato diced
- 1 Large potatoes (about 1-1 and 1/2 cup)
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon powder (adjust to taste or leave out )
- 4 cups broth or more chicken or vegetarian
- salt and pepper , to taste
- fresh cilantro/parsley leaves , optional
- avocado (to serve) optional
Heat the olive / canola oil over medium heat in a large sauce pan. Add the onions, garlic, thyme, ginger, paprika, jalapeño and sauté, stirring occasionally until onions are soft and translucent - about 6-7 minutes. Do not brown.
Add the black beans, potatoes, tomatoes, bay leaf, bouillon powder, chicken and salt .
Sauce for about a minute or two , add broth then bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for about 25 minutes or more until potatoes are tender and soup has a creamy consistency.
Adjust seasonings and thickness of soup according to preference with broth and spices.
- Remove, garnish with fresh parsley leaves or cilantro and serve warm with corn bread and avocado
How to Make Black Bean Soup
Heat the olive / canola oil over medium heat in a large sauce pan. Add the onions, garlic, thyme, ginger, paprika, all spice, jalapeño and sauté.
Stir occasionally until onions are soft and translucent – about 6-7 minutes. Do not brown.
Add the black beans, potatoes, tomatoes, bay leaf, bouillon powder, and salt and cook for about a minute or two . Then add broth and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat, cover and simmer gently for about 25 minutes or more until sweet potatoes are tender and soup has a creamy consistency. Adjust seasonings and thickness of soup according to preference with broth and spices. Remove, garnish with fresh parsley leaves or cilantro and serve warm with corn bread.