Crunchy Coconut Cole Slaw – crunchy, creamy sweet tangy coleslaw mixed with a nutty, coconut taste. Crunchy, tasty yet light!
Raise your hands if you love coconut! Raise your hands if you love coleslaw… Ok now raise both hands if you love coconut coleslaw, yes, I am so in awe of this recipe, the super power of crunchy, creamy sweet tangy coleslaw mixed with a nutty, coconut taste. It is finger licking good as the Colonel would say. I love this recipe, I know you will too.
Trust me folks when I say that you are in for a treat. The Salad is pure magic, crunchy yet light, delicious and addictive with each and every bite. Coconut coleslaw is an exotic salad that whips you to the islands and back again, all of this without the high calorie intake you would get with ordinary mayonnaise.
So how did this come about, well I used to be one of those who would buy the big quart of supermarket coleslaw and eat the whole thing in one sitting! Remember, its healthy right? No I was so wrong. In hindsight, I wasn’t sure of the mayonnaise content or its calorie value, however, I was willing to indulge even though I could just not put my finger on something, that one thing that was missing. Go figure, it is coconut!, you will never eat plain coleslaw again after you’ve tried this recipe.
It’s easy to make Coconut coleslaw from scratch since the ingredients do not need a lot of prep time; in addition I am certain of its nutrient content and value. The best part is that it is unique and so worth waiting for. All of you low calorie diet eaters add this to your menu!
This satisfying salad is a colorful blend of purple and green cabbage, shredded carrots, apple, toasted coconut flakes with a hint of pineapple. I cut down on mayonnaise and used only two low fat mayonnaise 35 calories per spoon and nonfat yogurt.
Crunchy Coconut Cole Slaw
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoon low fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 cups cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup red cabbage
- ½ medium apple
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple
- ¾ cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, mix the shredded cabbage, apple, and carrots in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, greek yogurt, onion, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper then add to the cabbage mixture. Then add pineapple, and coconut flakes.
- Mix well to combine and adjust for seasoning. Finally sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Leave a Review