Hurricane Drink – popular in New Orleans, this fun rum-filled tropical cocktail with a lovely pairing of passion fruit and orange juice is the perfect drink to remind you of summer and parties. Happiness in a glass!
Whenever I like pressing that forward button for summer to come early, I just mix some drinks in my kitchen and it transports me right away to that warm summer feel. Ah, winter cold. It is sometimes unforgiving !
Now that the Mardi Gras is just few weeks away, let me make this popular New Orleans drink to celebrate with you guys – Hurricane Drink! It’s really really good, and it hits you right on spot! 😉
What is in a Hurricane Drink?
Hurricane Drink is a lovely reddish orange sweet alcoholic drink traditionally made with rum, lemon juice and passion fruit juice typically served in a curvy “hurricane glass” (See this original Hurricane Drink HERE). This tropical drink is also made differently on the islands of the Bahamas. Over the time, it has evolved and is now mostly made with the following: light rum, dark rum, passion fruit juice, simple syrup, lime and grenadine.
Some other versions of this cocktail also adds vodka, gin, Amaretto, pineapple juice and even coffee. Yep!
Hurricane Drink History
There’s nothing like a joyous celebration with booze here and there. And for the people of New Orleans, Mardi Gras is also about this popular hurricane drink. All thanks to New Orleans tavern owner, Pat O’Brien for introducing this wonderful drink to the community.
It was said that in 1940s, Mr. O’Brien needed to create a new drink that would use up all those less popular rum that local distributors forced him to buy to before he could replace it with popular ones. In doing so, he poured a concoction into a hurricane-lamp glasses (hence, the name) and gave it away to sailors.
You can somehow enjoy this fantastic tropical cocktail without flying to NOLA or to your nearest bar. For this winter, you can warm yourself up with a fresh mix of this popular concoction right at the comfort of your own home.
Serve it with a homemade King Cake for a taste of New Orleans’ Mardi Gras right at home. Garnish it with slices of orange and/or maraschino cherries.
Cheers and enjoy!
Tips and Notes:
- If you have a hard time finding passion fruit juice, you may juice a few ripe passion fruits. They’re not always in season, so take advantage of it whenever you can. But you can mostly find them on natural foods and international grocery stores. Sometimes you can buy them in a frozen concentrate or go online and purchase on Amazon.com.
- Another option for you as a replacement to passion fruit juice is passion fruit nectar. It’s slightly sweeter, but you can easily add some water in it to lessen the concentration.
- How strong is the hurricane drink? Well, the average hurricane drink has an alcohol content of about 18% ABV (Alcohol by Volume). To put it simply, it’s not the strongest drink, yet it’s not also the lightest. 😉
- 2 ounce light rum
- 2 ounce dark rum
- 4 ounce passion fruit juice
- 4 ounce orange juice
- 2 ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce grenadine
- 2 ounce simple syrup
- orange slices and maraschino cherries for serving
- Pour in all the wet ingredients into a large pitcher. Stir until everything comes together.
- Fill a hurricane glass with ice and pour the mixture from the pitcher into the glass.
- Garnish with orange slices and maraschino cherries and serve.
Tips & Notes:
Leave a Review