Jamaican Cabbage and Shrimp – A quick stir fried cabbage seasoned with aromatic spices and topped with sauté shrimp. A delicious side dish to accompany any meal.
Cabbage is very often overlooked, underrated and often goes to waste. But you don’t have to throw it away all the time. Take your leftover cabbage, or buy some at the supermarket and turn it into something really tasty – Fuss free.
One of my favorite ways to prepare cabbage is infuse it with smoked paprika- Oh yes! And bacon too! Everything is always better with bacon, right?). Yes, this recipe calls for bacon and bacon drippings might not be the healthiest of choices but I tell you it’s really flavorful. These two flavors really rock!
This Jamaican cabbage and shrimp is a little spicy – not hot, super simple to make, and extremely flavorful. It uses up familiar Caribbean ingredients; thyme, garlic, allspice and scotch bonnet pepper. Convenient for a weeknight meal.
Omit bacon for pork or meat-free option but do include smoked paprika.
Scotch bonnet pepper is optional here. I usually just throw the whole thing in the pot – want the flavor not the heat. So my little man can enjoy this too.
Feel free to swap out the shrimp with protein of choice or just leave it out completely.
Serve with rice, fried or boiled plantains.
Watch How to Make It
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”HCbq9xxM” upload-date=”2019-04-01T07:30:58.000Z” name=”Cabbage and Shrimp” description=”Jamaican Cabbage and Shrimp – A quick stir fried cabbage seasoned with aromatic spices and topped with sauté shrimp . A Delicious side dish to accompany any meal.”]
Jamaican Cabbage and Shrimp
- 1 pound Large Shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2-3 bacon slices cut in 3-4 pieces
- 2 tablespoons or more cooking oil
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 teaspoons paprika
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 green onions sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ medium onion chopped
- ½ medium bell pepper chopped
- ½ teaspoon all spice
- 1 small head cabbage chopped (about 5 to 6 cups)
- 1- teaspoon chicken bouillon optional
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Slice or chop cabbage then set aside.
- Heat up a large skillet with about 1 -2 Tablespoons oil .Add shrimp then Lightly season shrimp with salt, and your favorite seasonings. Some of the options I use are jerk seasoning here, creole seasoning or any herbs or seasonings on hand.
- Sauté for about 3 -5 minutes shrimp set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté bacon until brown and crisp this may take about 3-5 minutes. Set bacon aside if desired and add towards the end
- There will be some bacon drippings left in the pan (not more than 1-2 tablespoons)
- Add about 2 tablespoons or more oil to the pan.
- Followed by thyme, onions, green onions, garlic, scotch bonnet pepper, paprika, red bell pepper, and allspice.
- Saute for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent any burns.
- Then add cabbage, chicken bouillon(Optional) and white pepper, continue stirring to incorporate all the ingredients. Let it cook for about 5 minutes or more depending on preference or how you like your cabbage cooked..
- Adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve Cabbage top with sauté shrimp or on the side.