Orange Cake – A tender, buttery melt in your mouth cake , add this to your cake repertoire – the taste is irresistible.
So I made Homemade Orange Curd.
Now, I have to put it to good use before I finish the entire thang. For the life of me, I cannot stay away from the refrigerator. I am coming up with every excuse to make a trip to the kitchen.
Maybe I should just grab the jar, a spoon and eat away. That doesn’t sound like I plan to me- right? This simple elegant and bright orange cake would brighten up your weekend. Be sure to have family and friends over when you make it .
There is no better time than now to try this cake, because tis the season for oranges. Paired with orange curd and it is officially orange taste bud overload. Not that anyone eating the cake would mind.
This orange cake is light, yet moist and it is delightful. The fresh orange zest and juice create a cake that is full of orange and almond flavor. You may omit the almond flavor, however, I think orange pairs well with almond.
When using oranges skin, try to buy organic or wash the skin thoroughly to get rid of any pesticides.
Enjoy it with this 5 minute microwave orange curd
Watch How To Make It
- 10 oz unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3 tablespoons orange zest
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/325°F. Grease a 10 inch pan generously with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar at high speed in a stand mixture until it’s fluffy and starting to look white, about 4- 5 minutes.
- Stir in the eggs, a little at a time, beating the mixture well between each addition. Sift in the flour and baking powder into the batter, and then add the grated orange zest , juice , almond, and vanilla extract.
- Stir well until everything is fully combined. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Pour batter into a greased cake pan. Tap pan on work surface to eliminate any large air bubbles.
- Bake at 325 F until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean,about 45–50 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
- Sprinkle cake with powdered sugar and serve with orange curd or drizzle over cake.
This recipe originally post in December 2013 – updated !