Moist Lemon Almond Yogurt Cake – Bursting with lemon flavor from the cake and lemon glaze, Simple yet Sumptuous.
Life gave me lemons; so I made Lemon Almond Yogurt Cake topped with almond lemon glazed Sounds nice don’t it? While it may sound indulgent and more than a bit decadent. I see no reason why you can’t enjoy this cake or lemon loaf for breakfast. Oh Yes you can! So at the beginning of the year I decided to stay away from sweets for a couple of weeks. I tried… really did. To keep my New Year’s Resolution.
It lasted for a week and half until I was gifted these lemons. Then, I gave myself a pad on the back, for lasting for so long (11 days, to be exact).
The only other time I have ever given up sweets was during lent and it lasted 40 days. But that was once upon a time….. in another lifetime. From now on, am going all the way. My motto is eating everything –in moderation, of course.
Pardon me, I did go overboard with the icing here. That is what happens when you deprive yourself …
You might not know it but almonds and lemon make an incredible partner in baked goods. I so dig this combination,it highlights the tart lemon flavor and the slightly nutty flavor of the almond. However, fortified with Greek yogurt is truly a delightful cake! It makes it super moist, boosts the tangy lemon flavor and adds protein without adding a ton of calories. Yeah, I had to throw in the protein factor.
I replaced 3 tablespoon of cake flour with ground almond meal to make this cake extra special. By the way, the difference between almond meal and almond flour is the skin. If it has skin it is almond meal without skin, it is known as almond flour. Don’t sweat! You can easily make your own almond meal or flour at home simply by grinding the almonds, in a food processor into a fine consistency. Make sure you do not over do it – or else you would be left with almond butter. Do make the icing to go with it – it really adds some oomph to this cake. Enjoy.
Lemon Almond Yogurt Cake
- 8 ounce unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cup cake flour
- 3-4 tablespoon almond meal
- 2 teaspoon baking powder.
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice adjust for desired thickness
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C/325°F. Grease a loaf pan generously with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar at high speed in a stand mixture until it’s fluffy and starting to look white, about 3- 4 minutes. Then add yogurt and mix for another minute
- Stir in the eggs, a little at a time, beating the mixture well between each addition. Sift in the flour, baking powder baking soda and almond meal into the batter, and then add the grated lemon zest, juice, almond, and vanilla extract.
- Stir well until everything is fully combined. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
- Pour batter into a greased cake pan. Tap pan on work surface to eliminate any large air bubbles.
- Bake at 325 until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45–50minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.Glaze cake
- Combine all ingredients into a smooth consistency , then pour in on cake.