Slow cooker Jamaican Beef Stew -Rich and exciting, beautifully tender cooked low and slow for hours! One pot meal Loaded with vegetables ! Warm, comforting and hearty.
This slow cooker Jamaican beef stew will have you doing the happy dance.And get out your cool moves. It sure does that for me. Doing the dance with a spoon in my mouth. Boy oh Boy what can I say…
Melding Jamaican flavors in one pot infused with beef and vegetables yields an OUTSTANDING result. The stew is so hearty, comforting and oh so delicious.Yes, I use that word too often but it is.
We have all had beef stew-right? Any good beef stew has tender beef and root vegetables cooked in liquid to form a gravy but all those elements are taken to new heights with this recipe. And you still get your gravy without flour.
Every element here is highlighted with Jamaican seasonings including scotch bonnet for some heat, allspice, (pimento), carrots for some sweet notes , garlic, ginger and of course some thyme to round out the bold flavors.
For many, making delicious food at home is too much of a task due to busy schedules but since this recipe uses a slow cooker, all you have to do is set it and forget it for hours. This means you start the stew in the morning and dinner will be ready for you when you get home minus the effort.
Along with convenience, there are quite a few benefits of using a slow cooker to make this Jamaican stew. For starters, slow cookers transform inexpensive cuts of beef into fall apart tender meat. Additionally, slow cooking promotes absorption of all the spices resulting in fuller, more robust flavors with more depth. As a plus, cooking foods on low heat for an extended time destroys fewer nutrients.
Gather all the ingredients and give this recipe a try. When it is ready, just sit down and savor the stew.
It is sure to be one of your favorite suppers and the leftovers are even better.
Tips and Notes for Making Stew Beef
- To make this completely paleo leave out white potatoes and go with sweet potatoes instead. Or better yet use plantains. Be sure to cut them in big chunks so they do not get all mushy when done. Same with the carrots and other vegetables. Didn’t have enough potatoes so I include un-ripe or green plantains as well. Ripe plantains do not work well here
- Don’t waste your money on expensive cuts of meat. Go with the tougher and cheaper cuts of like chuck, leg shanks, bottom round. It benefits from long hours of cooking- collagen breaks down leaving the meat fork tender and infused with the flavors from the stew. Can’t be beat.
- As always 10 minutes of browning and sautéing beef, vegetables and spices yields maximum amount of flavor. You don’t have to but it is advisable. Yields maximum amount of flavor.
- If you want to get an extra touch of sweetness then add 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar.
Slow Cooker Jamaican Beef Stew
- 2 pounds stew beef (cut in small chunks)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-3 green onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- Scotch bonnet pepper (or 1 teaspoon hot sauce)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon bouillon powder, beef, chicken, or vegetable (optional, adjust to taste)
- 2 cups broth (or water) more as needed
- 2-3 large carrots, cut in large chunks
- 2-3 pounds potatoes, cut in large chunks
- 2-3 tablespoons parsley, optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season stew beef with salt and pepper to thoroughly cover all sides.
- Heat the oil in an oven-safe Dutch oven or pan over medium heat. Add stew beef and brown well, turning once, 2-3 minutes per side, until beef browns up. Do not overcrowd the pan. Cook in batches, if necessary. Add beef to the slow cooker.
- Add onions, green onions, garlic, ginger, thyme, allspice, bell pepper, bay leaf, scotch bonnet or hot sauce, and smoked paprika to the skillet. Stir for 2-3 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add tomato paste and bouillon. Stir for another minute, then add water or broth to the skillet and scrape all sides. Bring to a boil, remove, and pour into the slow cooker.
- Toss carrots and potatoes into the slow cooker and add salt and pepper according to preference.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove and serve with bread. Enjoy!
Tips & Notes:
- To make this paleo leave out white potatoes and go with sweet potatoes instead. Or better yet, use plantains. Be sure to cut them in big chunks so they do not get all mushy when done. Same with the carrots and other vegetables. Didn’t have enough potatoes, so I include unripe or green plantains as well. Ripe plantains do not work well here.
- Don’t waste your money on expensive cuts of meat. Go with the tougher and cheaper cuts of like chuck, leg shanks, and bottom round. It benefits from long hours of cooking- collagen breaks down, leaving the meat fork tender and infused with the flavors from the stew. It can’t be beat.
- As always, 10 minutes of browning and sautéing beef, vegetables, and spices yields the maximum amount of flavor. You don’t have to but it is advisable.
- If you want to get an extra touch of sweetness, then add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Please remember that the nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary significantly based on the products used in the recipe.
Leave a Review