Stewed Greens – Collard green, Kale, Spinach and Cabbage loaded with leftover turkey.
So this thanksgiving I did not do any cooking – gasp. Yes, I had my thanksgiving catered. Catered? Hold your thoughts am not a baller rolling in dough or won the lottery (Although am secretly hoping I did). I have been under the weather and wanted someone to do the cooking for a change.
Sometimes another person’s cooking taste so much better. Now, could someone please convince my hubby that this is true? So we can eat dine at my favorite steak house more often. He doesn’t believe me.
Anyways, I ordered a whole smoked turkey. Why? Because my little man loves turkey, especially smoked turkey and thanksgiving is all about him. This is what he said he wanted excitedly with his eyes lit up; turkey, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate cake, chocolate muffins and chocolate ice cream- no kidding! I too would love all of these on my dinner table- but it isn’t happening- not while am sane. We settled for regular thanks giving menu and chocolate cake –of course. He got 2 out of 5.
If you are just like me, you surely have tons of leftover turkey starring at you right now, whenever you open the fridge and so want to use it up. Well folks, this is one way to put it into good use .A scrumptious delicious stewed vegetables.
Here, I used kale, spinach and cabbage. You can use any or all of these vegetables. In fact, any leafy vegetable would work beautiful. My leafy vegetables were frozen vegetables I picked up at the supermarket. I was totally being lazy about it. I even grabbed a bag of sliced cabbage and carrots (aka coleslaw). I could have got some chopped onions but then again I would not be able to justify the cost and with tons of onions laying around. This would be good too with leftover ham- especially the smoked ones. If you have some smoked shrimp (crayfish) feel free to throw it in together with the onions and tomatoes.
Serve this stewed greens with this crispy boiled cassava or fried plantains
- 1-1/2 pound leftover turkey smoked turkey, ham, shrimp- cut in bite pieces
- 1 1/2 – 2 pounds of frozen leafy vegetables spinach, kale, collard greens thawed
- 2-3 cups sliced cabbage
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5-6 fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1- teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ -1 cup canola oil
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper or more adjust to
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon bouillon powder optional
- Heat canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until hot.
- Lightly sauté the turkey until it is fragrant and slightly brown about 5 minutes. Set some aside if you wish to top with some turkey.
- Add onion, garlic stir for about 3-4 minutes, stirring often and scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Add tomatoes, cayenne pepper, paprika (bouillon) and cook stirring for about 7-10minutes. Salt lightly
- Through in the spinach, kale, cabbage and let it simmers, for about 3-5 minutes, mix well, and adjust for seasonings and serve