Oven Baked Salmon – moist and flaky highly seasoned salmon fillets with a lemony and spicy kick. A perfect easy weeknight meal for busy folks or as a low-carb go-to Lenten meal. Spicy, lemony, and moist – everything you want a salmon dinner to be!
This quick and easy salmon dish is just in time for the Lenten season. I can’t think of a better dish during this season for Christians like me, than my all-time fave fish – salmon – which is a very good source of protein. This blog certainly has a wide array of salmon recipes that you can choose from. You can start browsing some salmon recipes through HERE. (You’re welcome! 🙂 )
The closest recipe that I can think of other than this one is this popular Paprika Salmon and Green Beans, but it’s better than that. Oh yesss! Let me tell you why.
Oven Baked Salmon Ingredients
Aside from the herbs and spices like paprika, cayenne pepper, thyme and basil, among others, this Oven Baked Salmon is doused with butter and also the vibrant tang of lemon. Oh I’d never leave my lemons out of this recipe especially now that they’re in season.
That lemony kick is a must on most of my savory dishes especially when dealing with meat and even with my sweet treats. I’m down for anything with lemons. Seriously!
If that already convince you, here’s what you need to make this easy low-carb dinner:
- salmon fillets
- unsalted butter
- onion powder
- cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
The thing with using lemons is that they also help achieve a moist flaky salmon inside and out. A beautiful and easy perfect weeknight go-to meal or midweek fancy date night protein.
How Long to Bake Salmon in Oven?
This easy dish doesn’t take that long in the oven. Simply bake these salmon here in a preheated oven at 400 F for about 10-15 minutes. Tasty and healthy dinner in no time!
Take note though that cooking times must be adjusted depending on the thickness of the salmon cut. The US Food and Drug Administration recommends an internal temperature of 145 F to determine that a salmon fillet is cooked enough. You can use a thermometer to check the salmon or use fork testing. Insert a fork into the center of the fillet and slightly twist it. If it comes out flaky, opaque and moist, then you’re all set.
What to Serve with Oven Baked Salmon?
There is so much flavor sitting on top of these salmon fillets that you can serve it with other veggies (like some roasted Brussel sprouts) or simply enjoy it as it is. Below are some of my favorite sides to go along with this easy dinner:
More Low-Carb Fish Dinner Recipes
Watch How to Make It
How to Bake Salmon in the Oven
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil or baking paper, like I did, then spray with cooking spray or lightly oil. Set aside. Using a sharp knife, make about 4-5 slits on salmon OR you can slice it through after cooking. Dab both sides of salmon dry with paper towels, season both sides with salt and pepper.
In a small pan set over medium low heat butter, minced garlic, smoked paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper, parsley or basil.
Stir for about 30 seconds or 1 minute. Let this mixture sit for a bit, about 5 minutes. Add lemon juice to mixture.
Brush salmon with butter mixture. Bake until cooked through, about 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fish and your preference of doneness.
When the thickest part of the salmon is easily flaked with a fork, the salmon is perfectly cooked. Garnish immediately with lemon slices.
Oven Baked Salmon
- 2 pounds (907.18 g) Salmon fillets
- 3-4 tablespoons (42.53 - 56.70 g) unsalted butter
- 2-3 teaspoons (5.60 - 8.40 g) minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon (6.90 g) onion powder
- 1 tablespoon (6.80 g) paprika
- 1/2 -1 teaspoon (1.80 g) cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoon (5.30 - 15.90 g) fresh parsley, basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) or more lemon juice
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil or baking paper, like I did, spray with cooking spray or lightly oil. Set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, make about 4-5 slits on salmon. Dab both sides of salmon dry with paper towels, season both sides with salt and pepper.
- In a small pan set over medium low heat butter, minced garlic, Paprika, onion powder cayenne pepper and parsley or basil. Stir for about 30 seconds or 1 minute. Let this mixture sit for a little bit about 5 minute. Add lemon juice to mixture.
- Brush salmon with spice mixture, making sure every inch is covered with spice .
- Bake until cooked through, about 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fish and your preference of doneness. When the thickest part of the salmon is easily flaked with a fork, the salmon is perfectly cooked.
- Garnish immediately with lemon slices.