Smoked Salmon Dip – a super easy elegant appetizer that is soft, creamy, smoky with a tanginess from sour cream and lemon, freshness from dill and a hint of saltiness from the capers. Such an indulgent party recipe to ring in the holidays!
Merry, merry Christmas, everyone! Oh, I wish you all a fantastic Christmas celebration tonight.
How are you celebrating tonight’s Christmas Eve? Christmas movie marathon? Christmas story-telling with the kids? Karaoke? Church? Party?
Well, for those who are throwing a Christmas party at home, or simply serving a pretty snack board while watching a movie, let me share to you a FANTASTIC yet easy dip that you will surely fall in love with.
Everyone…please make way for this soft, creamy and flavorful party favorite SALMON DIP.
What’s in a Smoked Salmon Dip?
If you’ve been around for a while, you probably are quite familiar with my line, “it’s cheaper than store-bought yet it tastes even better”. Not this time, though. ‘Cause this recipe is somewhat on the fancy side of the line as we’re using a good quality smoked salmon for our dip. But hey, it definitely tastes way lot better than those store-bought salmon dip tubs.
It’s flavorful, really smoky and you can basically still taste the salmon in your mouth. And it’s real salmon meat! Aside from that, you’ll also be needing the following to make one at home or to send to your guests as a special treat.
- fine chopped smoked salmon
- cream cheese
- sour cream
- red onion and minced garlic
- fresh dill
- Worcestershire sauce
- lemon juice
Can I Eat Smoked Salmon Raw?
The highlight of this recipe is the pearly pink smoked salmon that I got from the store. If you have any leftover homemade smoked salmon, then the better. In this recipe, you can still feel the texture and the smokiness of the salmon in bits and it’s not all pureed just how others have it.
But if you’re still on the fence on whether raw smoked salmon is safe to eat, the answer is yes. You can eat smoked salmon (both hot and cold smoked) without cooking or reheating. Heating it will just ruin its delicate flavor. They are, in fact, a good source of B vitamins, selenium and vitamin D. But of course, like everything else, you should eat it in moderation.
What to Serve with Smoked Salmon Dip?
I could go on making a long list of what to serve with this salmon cream cheese dip, but below are my favorite ways to serve with this appetizing dip:
- raw cut vegetables like celery, carrots or cucumber
- baked vegetable chips (I bought a pack of baked kale chips and they were AMAZING with this!)
How Long Does Salmon Dip Last?
Make sure to check the shelf life of the salmon you’re using for this salmon spread as that will determine how long this dip could last. Usually, it’s still good after 2-3 days after it gets refrigerated. And oh, it kinda firms up when refrigerated. So bring it to room temperature first, give it a little gentle stir before serving.
More Dip Recipes
Looking for more party dips like this salmon dip recipe to serve during the holiday celebrations? You can check these ones, too.
- Spinach Dip
- Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Tropical Guacamole
- Fruit Dip
- Blue Cheese Dressing/Dip
- Pimento Cheese
- Remoulade Sauce
Other Salmon Recipes You’ll Love
Merry Christmas, everyone!
How To Make Smoked Salmon Dip
Finely chop the smoked salmon.
Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
And stir with a wooden spoon to combine. The mixture will be a bit liquidy. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving. Best served with baguette slices!
Smoked Salmon Dip
- 6 ounce (180g) smoked salmon, finely chopped
- 8 ounce (240g) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ⅓ cup (77g) mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup (77g) sour cream
- 2 tablespoon (14g) red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon (3g) fresh dill, chopped
- ½ teaspoon (2.84g) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoon (30ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (8.60g) capers, drained
- ½ teaspoon (1.5g) garlic, minced
- Finely chop the smoked salmon.
- Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir with a wooden spoon to combine. The mixture will be a bit liquidy. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving. Best served with baguette slices!
Tips & Notes:
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.