Black Magic Cake – extremely moist, rich and so chocolatey. And it’s super easy to whip up; no need to use any mixer!
Sometimes a simple recipe can be so… Magical – this is true with this Black magic cake; extremely moist, full flavored and rich cake, my go to chocolate cake recipe. I have made this cake so many times with different flavoring and frosting and it never disappoints. The best part is you do not need to use your mixer.
Face it – there are times when you are too busy, and the thought of baking a cake seems so daunting. Sometimes there is no getting around it! Lucky for you here is this black cake to the rescue.
If you haven’t tried this cake before…You are missing out! It is truly a magical cake – the intensity of the chocolate flavor and hint of coffee makes the chocolate flavor more pronounced and a magnificent vehicle for using a luscious filling or topping. If you are concerned about the caffeine in the cake reduce the coffee and replace the with water. Top it with any toppings or frosting and make a cake or make it into cupcakes like I did.
All you need is to dump everything (sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder, flour in the bowl, followed by the wet ingredients buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and oil. and mix – how difficult is that? It is even better than store bought or box mix. Yep, my four year old son loves to help out with this recipe and I let him too. The recipe is fool-proof.
This recipe is adapted from Hershey’s website. You can use a store bought frosting if you are press for time or use the one below. It is also grand enough stand on it’s own!
Black Magic Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 cup strong black coffee OR 2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee plus 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting.
- 8 ounce unsalted butter softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F. Line muffin pan with baking cup liners
- In a large bowl mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla; Mix with a spatula or wooden spoon for about 2 minutes (Batter will be thin). Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool them completely on a cooling rack.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer.Add powdered sugara cup at a time untill smooth and creamy. Beat in vanilla extract