Chicken Quesadilla – crispy tortilla stuffed with tomato salsa, guacamole, seasoned chicken and gooey cheese. Simple family-friendly summer meal that doubles up as party appetizer, too!
I’ve been trying my very best to stay off the stove or oven for quite a while now. But whenever I feel like I’ve been munching on all the “healthy green stuff” for three days in a row, I settle for something like this easy Mexican dish Chicken Quesadilla
Before you fret out, this quesadilla here is very easy to make using just a handful of pantry ingredients. And the kids would love it as well. It’s one of those easy meals that I make when I have a bunch of kids over . They truly enjoy it with or without chicken.
There is something really comforting with the complementing texture of crispy tortilla and it’s soft creamy soft stuffing. And then there’s the filling that I wanted to talk more about.
It’s filled with salsa with a little kick, layered well-seasoned chicken and of course, cheese! Musn’t forget that CHEESE! It’s what binds it together. Feel free to add bell pepper to it if desired.
What you need to know by heart, though, is to let the filling cool down before layering it on the tortillas or else it’ll steam off inside the tortilla making it soggy instead of crispy. We don’t want that, right? Unless you overcook the tortilla making it overly brown.
You can enjoy this chicken quesadilla on its own with the whole family or friends OR add in a little work to make some guacamole as a side.
Now that you know how to make this, you can make this as a family dinner or add this to your party menu appetizer. Trust me, it’ll fly off the table too soon. It’s incredibly good! Want more inside? Of course, you can add whatever rocks your boat. Just make sure it’ll be enough and not too much for the tortilla to hold on to.
Tips and Notes:
- Make sure that you add enough cheese as per directions. Too little cheese will make your filling fall out.
- You can also replace chicken meat with pork or beef.
- Do not use too many oil as flour tortillas absorb a lot of oil and it’ll get soggy and greasy. Use canola oil instead of olive oil.
- Quesadillas are beast enjoyed right after cooking, however, you can warm it up in the oven but it won’t be good as that fresh out of the pan.
You can easily bake quesadillas in the oven . Spray baking tray with oil the bake on each side for about 7-8 minutes or until the surface is crispy. Using a large spatula flip and bake the other side .
- 2 boneless chicken breast (chopped)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 medium onion , sliced
- Salt to taste
- 6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salsa (about a cup)
- sour cream and guacamole (optional)
- Season lightly salt chicken then season with cumin, paprika, coriander , oregano, chili powder ,garlic and onion powder or use taco seasoning.
- Heat up skillet with about 2 tablespoon of oil, and then add chicken let it rest for about 30 seconds before stirring. Add onions , cook for about 5-7 minutes or until chicken has been fully cooked. Remove chicken and set aside for it to cool.
- Place tortilla on a plate then top with cheese, chicken, and salsa , if desired.
- Heat up another skillet , spray with oil.
- Transfer filled tortilla to the skillet , place another tortilla on top
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until the cheese melts and the bottom of the the tortilla browns .
- Place a plate on top of the quesadilla and flip onto the plate. Then slide the other side onto the skillet. You can easily flip using a large spatula.
- Cut into desired pieces serve warm with guacamole and/or sour cream.
How to Make Chicken Quesadillas
Season lightly salt chicken then season with cumin, paprika, coriander , oregano, chili powder ,garlic and onion powder or use taco seasoning. Heat up skillet with about 2 tablespoon of oil, and then add chicken let it rest for about 30 seconds before stirring.
Add onions, cook for 5-7 minutes or until chicken has been fully cooked.
Remove chicken and set aside to cool. Wipe pan down lightly spray with oil.
Place tortilla on a plate then top with cheese, chicken, and salsa , if desired.
Gently transfer to the skillet , top with another tortilla. Let the cheese melt and the bottom of the tortilla browns. This might take a few minutes. .
Place a plate on top of the quesadilla to and flip onto the plate. Then slide the other side onto the skillet. Let it cook for about a minute or two minute . Remove, Cut into desired pieces and serve warm with guacamole and/or sour cream.