Chicken Salad Sandwich – a delicious and quick meal made with chicken, sliced sweet grapes, crunchy pecans and celery in a creamy, vibrant mayo-based dressing. Great for lunch or summer picnics and tailgates.
Summer makes a perfect excuse to prepare quick and easy meal and sandwiches. No one will notice that you’re just too lazy to hover over the stove and cook a real meal. But hey, sandwiches are a”real meal”, too, right? Except that sandwiches don’t require you to heat the whole house, but instead just slice up all the ingredients and toss them in a big bowl and mix.
You only need to slice up some grapes, chicken, green onion, celery and pecans. No sweat at all!
This Chicken Salad Sandwich here has the complementing creamy and crunchy texture that uses few ingredients in a delectable and simple dressing with a kiss of lemon and Dijon mustard for a little bit of tang.
You’ll love the complementing sweetness of the plump grapes and the crunchiness of pecans. And what I even love more about this recipe is you can make a big batch of this in a bowl and place them in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Serve it either on a bowl for a quick lunch or stuff it on breads as sandwiches for picnics and for entertaining, too! Whenever you wanted a quick lunch, just get it out of the fridge and serve on baguettes on a bed of lettuce or eat it as it is.
You can purchase a rotisserie chicken at your favorite grocery store, use a leftover chicken or bake and poach the chicken breast. This would be perfect this coming 4th of July celebration (if you’re in the U.S.) or a post-party meal especially with all the leftover grilled chicken.
Whatever it is, lunch would never be boring this chicken salad sandwich here. It will be a new family favorite meal or a summer picnic must-have.
As always, you can customize this mixture here to your liking. Add some diced pineapples for an added crunch or throw in raisins and cranberries for that extra sweetness. The possibilities are endless!
Want more quick and easy summer favorites like this? Try my easy pasta salad or my egg salad sandwich. They are a favorite in our house. Feeding for a crowd? You surely need this 7 layer salad which is perfect for summer gathering, holidays or even Sunday potlucks.
Happy summer-ing (? 😀 ) and Independence Day, USA!!!
Tips and Notes:
- You can purchase a rotisserie chicken at your favorite grocery store, use a leftover chicken or bake and poach the chicken breast. Here’s an easy guide on how to bake or poach the chicken.
- Use plain Greek yogurt to cut the extra fat from mayo.
- If you can’t find pecans in your area, a good substitution would be almonds or cashews.
- Want more add-ons on this sandwich? Try adding some apples, raisins or cranberries and even chopped hard boiled egg. But I would recommend trying the recipe as it is first since this combination of chicken salad sandwich has been perfected and always came out a hit.
- You can also serve the salad over sliced bread or rolls.
- Make a big batch ahead of the chicken salad mixture and place it in the fridge for 2-3 days and assemble them when ready to eat.
Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 1 pound chicken breast , cooked and chopped
- ⅓ cup celery , chopped
- 1- 1 1/2 cup grapes , sliced in half
- 1 green onion , chopped
- ¼ -⅓ cup Mayonnaise , or half Mayonnaise /half Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup pecan , halves
- 1 tablespoon dill
- Lettuce to serve
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, celery, grapes, and green onions.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice, Let it chill until ready to use.
- Next add the mayonnaise mixture to the bowl of chicken mixture, mix until the chicken and mayonnaise have been thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper. If you like your nuts crunchy, throw in the pecans at this time.
- Garnish with dill and serve on a baguette with lettuce.
How to Make Chicken Salad Sandwich
In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, celery, grapes, and green onions.
In a smaller bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard and lemon juice, Let it chill until ready to use.
Next add the mayonnaise mixture to the bowl of chicken mixture, mix until the chicken and mayonnaise have been thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper.
If you like your nuts crunchy, throw in the pecans at this time. Garnish with dill and serve on a baguette with lettuce.