Chili Recipe – rich, hearty, and filling beef chili recipe with ground beef and beef cubes, beans, chili seasoning and other warm spices. An easy go-to family-friendly winter meal!
Winters are definitely for comfort food like this family-favorite here Chili Recipe. It’s a great comforting dish to lighten you up this season with its warm and earthy spices that is as pleasing as ever. Even my picky-eater would gladly chow down a bowl of this. Me….I don’t care if I get to eat this every day. It’s so dang delicious, filling and healthy!
How do you make a good homemade chili?
Most recipes would only call for ground meat, but since I love to go all in with my recipes, I added some beef cubes to this recipe for added texture and flavor. Browning the cubed beef first allows a beefy and flavorful base to this dish including those browned bits at the bottom of the pan.
Then I cook ground beef to soak up the flavor of the cubed beef and its bits. Yes, this one here is loaded with real beefy flavor. So I highly suggest you never skip that one. Once the ground meat is no longer pink, you can now toss the spices and seasonings to amp the flavor and aroma.
Stir it well and cook for 2-3 minutes to allow the flavors to settle in as a foundation before you add in the tomato puree, broth and beans. You may add chunky diced or finely minced tomatoes, but I suggest that you go with puree so as the ground meat can sip through it easily.Let it simmer around 20 minutes to cook through.
What ingredients go into chili?
If you’ve ever tried my recipes, you probably know by now that I’m all about layers of flavors in my dish. I certainly want to indulge my self on a flavorful dish no matter how straight-forward it is to prepare. Chili recipe can be made easy using these primary ingredients: ground beef, beans, chili powder, tomato puree or diced tomatoes and cumin.
But why settle for a flavor when you can obviously jazz it up? The reason I added a couple of ingredients here and there is that this chili recipe is ABSOLUTELY great on its own – no need for cheese, green onions or sour cream. It is that flavorful!
Can I freeze beef chili?
Yes, chili dish can be frozen. Let the chili cool down completely before transferring them in an airtight container and stored in the fridge for 2-3 months. Now you’ll have an express chili whenever you feel like wanting to. You also refrigerate it for several days like 2-3 days.
Serve a bowl of this warm and hearty chili recipe with your preferred toppings of sour cream, cheese, crushed tortilla chips, pitted avocado, green onion or fresh cilantro. And don’t forget a warm crusted bread or cornbread to go along with this dish.
Enjoy a big bowl of this! You totally deserve it!
Easy Chili Recipe
- 1 1/2 pound ground beef
- ½ pound stew beef , small diced
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno , diced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons masa harina
- shredded Cheddar , for serving
- chopped onions , for serving
- Tortilla chips , for serving
- sliced avocado , for serving
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan and brown diced beef over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef, breaking up the meat while stirring and cook until no longer pink – about 6-7 minutes.
- Then toss in onions, garlic, jalapenos, chili powder, cayenne pepper and dried thyme.
- Mix until thoroughly combined. Cook for another 3-4 minutes to allow the spices to meld together.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, followed by the beans and water/broth. Stir well and scrape the sides.
- Add cumin powder, oregano, coriander, salt and masa harina as thickener. Stir and bring it to a simmer over medium heat and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Adjust broth/water when neccesary or depending on your preference.
- Turn off the stove and remove the pot from the heat. Serve with shredded cheddar, chopped onions, avocado and/or tortilla chips.
How to Make Chili
Heat oil in a large sauce pan and brown cubed beef over medium-high heat.
Add ground beef, breaking up the meat while stirring and cook until no longer pink – about 6-7 minutes
Then toss in onions, garlic, jalapenos, chili powder, cayenne pepper and dried thyme.
Mix until thoroughly combined. Cook for another 3-4 minutes to allow the spices to meld together.
Pour in the tomato sauce, followed by the beans and water/broth. Stir well and scrape the sides.
Add cumin powder, oregano, coriander, salt and masa harina as thickener. Stir and bring it to a simmer over medium heat and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Adjust broth/water when necessary or depending on your preference.
Turn off the stove and remove the pot from the heat. Serve with shredded cheddar, chopped onions, avocado and/or tortilla chips.