Stuffed Baked Plantains – roasted plantains filled with seasoned ground meat, tomatoes, onions, bell pepper, and spices, topped with cheese for lunch, dinner or even breakfast- very comforting!
Don’t worry; no one would know you made these for breakfast – if you decide to make it for breakfast.
I am a HUGE plantain- lover! Can’t lie about it, I have been known to cause a scene at home if someone eats my last remaining plantain. I just can’t live without it.
Recently, I have been trying out different plantain recipes, anything that looks pleasing, and continue to incite my palate- count me in. This is one of those plantain recipes that caught my attention and I knew I had to make it.
This recipe is easy to make, instead of frying the plantains, I roast them in the oven to cut out some calories, so I can eat two. Then, I slit open the plantains and fill it up. For the filling, I sauté tomato sauce with onions, smoked paprika, garlic, bell-pepper and ground meat-you can use any ground meat; chicken, turkey or beef. Then I place the seasoned meat in the plantains, topped with cheese.
When buying plantains it is important to get the correct one; It is should be ripe, yellow and firm, Not overly ripe (Dark skin) because it would end up mushy.
Watch How to Make It
Stuffed Baked Plantains
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line baking sheets with foil and coat with cooking spray or oil.
- Using a sharp knife, cut both ends off the plantain. This will make it easy to grab the skin of the plantains. Slit a shallow line down the long seam of the plantain, peel only as deep as the peel. Remove plantain peel by pulling back.
- Place plantains on tray and lightly spray, bake for a about 15, turn and bake on the other side for another 15 minutes or until golden brown and tender.
- While the plantains are baking, add 2 tablespoon of oil to a sauce pan, followed by onions, garlic and tomato sauce. Let it simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning, add about ½ cup of water if needed.
- Then, add ground meat and continue cooking for about 10 or more minutes.
- Finally add green pepper and parsley, adjust for seasoning
- Remove baked plantains from oven cool for a couple of minutes, make a horizontal slit in the plantains, stuff with equal amounts of meat mixture
- Sprinkle with cheese, if desire place in oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes. Serve warm