White Bean Chicken Chili – comforting, hearty chicken chili stew with white beans – a great balance of creaminess from the beans and warmth from the spices. It is super quick and easy to whip up. Dinner ready in just 30 minutes!
As we get nearer to the holidays and the winter season, I can’t help but stock up more on winter ingredients that’d keep my family filled and warmed throughout. You can always see me in the kitchen trying out soup recipes..ahhmm.. ’cause fall and winter means soup, right? Right!
And so with my quest to provide you easy and comforting soup to indulge to, I found couple of them that’ll be sharing on this blog. And this White Bean Chili Chicken is one of the recent ones. Starring poblanos- a very mild chili pepper originating in the state of Puebla, Mexico. when dried it is also known as ancho or chile ancho.You can find the fresh version in produce section.
Let me warn you beforehand that its simplicity will get you hooked that you’ll be doing it almost everyday. But hey, I personally don’t mind having it every.single.day.
Your neighbors will surely be jealous of all those warm aroma and spices wafting through the air. And they’ll be surprised too that this White Bean Chili Chicken is pretty simple. It’s ALMOST like not lifting a finger here.
The best thing perhaps with chilis, stews or soups is that you can use whatever you have or customize the recipe to your own
You can add or take away an ingredient and make it as your own. If you want a little more heat, you may roast a few more poblanos or jalapenos or add more of the chili powder at the beginning.
If you want it a little creamy, you can add beans, roasted chilis and chicken stock in a blender and puree. If you don’t want to go the extra trouble, it’s pretty fine too. This recipe is quite tasty.
All you need is cook the chicken, saute the spices and seasonings, add the chicken broth and the white bean and corn. Let it simmer for about 30 minutes while you prepare the sides or the table.
Voila! A good meal ready in less than an hour. Don’t forget to serve it with bread or cornbread. Enjoy!
Tips and Notes:
- If you want a more kick into these dish, you may also stir in the pepper seeds towards the end part of cooking.
- Canned white beans is the perfect choice for this recipe since they are pre-cooked and are affordable. Make sure to rinse them thoroughly in a colander before adding them.
- This recipe can also be prepared ahead of time. Just let it cool down first before you transfer them in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days . Reheat before serving.
White Bean Chicken Chili- comforting, hearty chicken chili stew with white beans - great balance of creaminess from the beans and warmth from the spices. It is super quick and easy to whip up. Dinner ready in just 30 minutes!
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 2-3 pounds (0.90 kilo to 1.4 kilo) boneless, skinless chicken thighs ,cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion , diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 poblano pepper , seeded and diced
- 1 Jalapeno pepper , diced
- 2 teaspoons (5.2 grams) cumin
- 1 teaspoon (2.60 grams) oregano
- 1 teaspoon (2.60 grams) smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon (2.60 grams) ancho chili powder
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans white beans , rinsed and drained
- 4 cups (950 ml) chicken broth , divided
- 1 cup (165 grams) frozen sweet corn
- 1/4 cup (15 grams) fresh chopped cilantro
Heat oil in a skillet, stir in the chicken , cook the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes.
Add minced garlic ,onions, poblano , jalapeno pepper , cumin,and oregano
Saute ingredients for about 3 -5 minutes until onions are wilted.
Add chicken broth , followed by white beans , Chili , paprika and sweet corn.
Bring to a boil, let it simmer for about 30 minutes or until chili has thicken.
Serve warm with corn bread or bread.