Groundnut soup is a rich , nutty, and palate pleasing meal when served with rice, plantains or any starch .It is also known as Maafe , Peanut soup or Sauce d’arachide . The term groundnut is use interchangeably with peanuts- It is called peanuts inAmerica but most people outside of the states refer to it as Groundnut.
It is super easy to make when you use Peanut butter paste. You can use any variety depending on what you have on hand. I usually go for 100% Peanut butter for an intensified peanut flavor without the added sugar. However, I must admit that I sometimes use whatever brand I have on hand.
You can easily make your on peanut butter and avoid all the commercial brand which contains sugar, salt, oils, and often preservatives . This can be achieved by blending roasted peanuts in a food processor . Not only is it healthier, it also tastes much better!
The basic ingredients for this sauce are: peanut butter, tomato sauce, onions, meat and spices depending on availability. In this recipe I Will omit oil because personally I think it is healthier without the oil and taste superbly
- • ¼ cup oil
- • 2- 3 pounds chicken
- • 1 tablespoon paprika
- • 2 tomatoes
- • 1 medium onion
- • 4 garlic cloves
- • 3 tablespoon parsley
- • ½ cup Peanut butter paste
- • Salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken with paprika, ½ onions, salt and pepper. Set aside
- In a large pot, heat oil over low heat, then add the chicken and sauté stirring, frequently, any browned bits off the bottom of the pot.
- Blend tomatoes, onions, garlic, parsley and onions. Pour the mixture in the pot of chicken bring to a boil and let it simmer until tender (depending on the chicken).
- Add the peanut butter and 2 cups of water. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Adjust the soup thickness with water if necessary .if not, return your soup to the heat and let simmer to desired thickness
- Drip a little soup from your stirring spoon. If you are satisfied with the thickness of your soup, serve it.