Macaroni Salad Recipe – Classic macaroni salad with few simple ingredients yet delivers big time in flavor. An easy comforting side dish to your fried chicken, barbecue and other picnic meals!
One of the best things that happened to me after I moved here in the U.S. is I developed a strong affection to PASTA. I’m always on the lookout for on sale pastas ’cause that means I get to hoard them and just whip up incredible pasta dishes at a whim.
Now that summer is in full swing, I immediately thought of sharing a pasta recipe that reflects the vibrant summery breeze with less prep time. Something that I can make ahead and serve right along with the barbecues. Oh, how excited I am for this weekend’s grilling! 🙂
This classic Macaroni Salad totally hits the mark!
It uses simple ingredients; nothing fancy here. But you’ll forget your main course once you start digging this mayo coated macaroni salad. Okay, for those who are hesitant with the mayo, you don’t need to worry. The mayo added in this salad is just enough to coat it, not SOAK it; just like this Potato Salad HERE.
I assure you that you’ll fall in love with my mayo mixture here. It has sweet relish and mustard to balance out the flavor. I even had this mayo mixture spread over my sandwiches! Sooo good!
Once you’re done preparing your mayo mixture, just toss it right over the sliced hard boiled egg, red bell pepper, celery, onion and elbow macaroni pasta. Or refrigerate it until ready to use. Mix it thoroughly to coat well. Then, VOILA! Ready to serve that tangy, sweet Macaroni Salad.
You can serve it warm or cold. If you want the flavors to come together, chill the salad first and serve it the following day. For those who prefer mayo-free side dish, you can also prepare this no cook, light, fruity, and sweet Caribbean Coleslaw HERE.
Tips and Notes:
- As always, adjust according to your taste. You can start with a little bit of seasoning and go from there,
- You can also top this with bacon, ham. grated cheese, chicken and olives. Your imagination is the limit!
- If you can’t stand the mayo but want to prepare this dish, you can replace mayo with sour cream (same quantity), 2 tablespoon of olive oil and the rest of the dressing ingredients.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. If salad seems dry, add a bit of mayo to moisten.
Macaroni Salad Recipe
- 1⁄2 pound macaroni , cooked and drained
- ¾- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1⁄3 cup diced onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons parsley (optional for garnish)
- Cook macaroni following directions on the package. Drain and rinse well. Let it cool while working on the sauce. After cooling refrigerate until ready to use .
- In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sweet relish, vinegar and mustard. Set aside or refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once Macaroni has come to room temperature or cooled down, place in a bowl together with the celery, eggs , green and red bell pepper and onion.
- Add the prepared mayonnaise sauce to the bowl and thoroughly mixed.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Store in a tightly sealed container for 4-5 days. If salad seems dry, add a couple of tablespoons of mayonnaise to moisten. Garnish with parsley, if desired.