Marinated Grilled Flank Steak – smokey, juicy, flavorful marinated grilled flank steak with a wonderful tender texture and a bit of a good chew in every bite. So simple and a total crowd-pleaser. Perfect steak indulgence for your next summer grilling OR this weekend’s Cinco de Mayo Celebration!
I could imagine how boring life would be without a slice of steak. Aside from bread, steaks are my go-to order when eating out. Although I’m willing to pay it in full price, still nothing compares to a homemade grilled steak right at your backyard. It’s cooked the way YOU want it and the marinade is pretty customizable! With Cinco de Mayo and Father’s Day around the corner , I thought this with would be just PERRFECT.
Before we even tackle about this easy marinade here, how about if we discuss how to shop the right kind of meat? Flank steak, often used interchangeably with skirt steak, comes from the bottom abdominal row of the cow which is fairly lean with a wider and thicker cut than skirt steak.
Skirt steak on the other hand is a thin, long cut from the diaphragm muscles of a cow and is more beefy in flavor compared to flank steak. They make a great stir-fry meat and for fajitas, burritos or sandwiches – just like my Marinated Grill Skirt Steak HERE.
For summer grilling and a bit of good chew over wine and salad, I’d like to go with a good chunk of flank steak. It is soaked overnight to tenderize and absorb the herbs and aromatics along with an olive oil that are already a pantry staple. If you’re too pressed in time, you can simply marinate it an hour before cooking. That’d be fine, too! Don’t stress yourself too much.
Dust of your backyard grill or pull out your grilling pan, either way you’ll love how simple yet flavorful this fancy grilled flank steak here.
You’d never think of wandering across the restaurant strips when you can easily whip up this crazy-as-good-as-restaurant beef meal. Now don’t forget to grab your favorite wine to go along with these beef. Serve them up fresh and hot off the grill or fill them in your favorite tortilla!
Marinated Grilled Flank Steak
- 1/2 lime, freshly squeezed lime Juice ( about 1/2 Tablespoon or less)
- 3-4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (optional)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 1/2 - 2 pounds pound flank steak , trimmed
- Combine all the ingredients all together in a zip top bag, or large shallow dish, add flank steak, coat well and marinate for at least an hour or refrigerated until ready to cook. If you feel it is going to take more than an hour refrigerate.
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- When ready to grill, drain the flank steak and use paper towels to pat dry steak, It's important to wipe excess moisture using a paper towels. If the steak is too moist it will end up steam cooking the steak , instead of grilling .
- Brush and oil the grill grate. Place flank steak on the hot grate and grill for about 5 -6 minutes per side for medium rare to medium, depending on preference- turning as needed with tongs. If using a meat thermometer 125 to 130°F for rare, 140°F for medium rare, 150°F for medium and 160°F for medium well.
Keep in mind that cooking times will vary due to thickness of your steak.
- When flank steak is ready , transfer to a cutting board and let it rest for about 10 to 15 minutes
- Then slice thinly into thin strips, against the grain, starting at one corner. Arrange on platter and serve.
Tips and Notes:
- Make sure to pat dry the flank steak with paper towel before grilling or else you’ll end up a steamed flank steak instead of grilling.
- Allow the meat to rest first before slicing it up for 5-10 minutes. This method allows the meat to retain most of its juice.
- Always slice the meat against the grain to minimize length of muscle that you have to chew.
Combine all the ingredients all together in a zip top bag, or large shallow dish,
Add skirt steak, coat well and marinate for at least an hour.
Or refrigerate until ready to cook. If you feel it is going to take more than an hour refrigerate. Preheat grill to medium-high. When ready to grill, drain the flank steak and use paper towels to pat dry. Brush and oil the grill grate. Place flank steak on the hot grate and grill for 3-5 minutes per side for medium rare to medium, depending on preference- turning as needed with tongs.
When ready, transfer to a cutting board and let it rest for about 2 minutes. Slice the steak thinly against the grain, starting at one corner