Moist Banana Cake – ridiculously moist, fluffy and full of wonderful flavors. With only 10 minute of prep time, this makes a great breakfast treat, too. Super easy, stick-to-the-back of your fork moist and sweet but not overpowering!
I have been on a quest for an excellent banana cake recipe; one that is light, moist and can be whipped up in less than no time.
I have to say, it has not been a very difficult task for me because I have my little assistant (my son) – who diligently helps me with the taste test while savoring every single bite.
I always have one or two bananas in a bunch that get too ripe for my liking, so I leave them in anticipation of them getting really speckled. Moist Banana Cake should be made with overripe bananas, going black on the outside and getting soft inside. The more spotty bananas you have, the sweeter it is. Sweet, but not overpowering.
After trying numerous versions for banana cake some more involved than others, I came across this recipe from the Cake Bible. It is everything I seek in a banana cake- moist, light and appetizing.
Ahhh the sweet smell of success!!
This recipe also leaves room for an additional mix of flavors, nuts and other flavor combinations. This is probably the most dependable banana cake so far. I really can’t remember a loaf that didn’t produce good results.
This cake is simple to make and comes together in a short time. It is a spur of the moment cake. A cake that’s so great for breakfast or when unexpected guests come knocking at your door.
Dust it with powdered sugar as it cools for a sweet, decorative finish or not. You’ll love it even on it’s own! Want more cakes in your life? I got your back. Check my other delectable cake recipes HERE.
Go grab a fork and dig in shamelessly. 😉
Watch How to Make It
Tips and Notes:
- No sour cream? You can substitute it with Greek yogurt, plain yogurt or buttermilk.
- You may substitute the cake flour with all-purpose flour, though there’d be slight difference with the texture.
- Store baked cake tightly and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days.
- You can also top this with Cream Cheese Frosting if you’re into frosting. You can get my cream cheese frosting HERE.
- 2 large bananas
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon or lime
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- ¾ cup sugar plus 2 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease pan 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside
- In a small bowl, mix together mashed bananas, sour cream with a potato masher. Then mix in eggs, lemon zest and vanilla until smooth; set aside
- In a stand mixer, blend together all the dry ingredients - Flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Then, add butter to the dry mixture until fully incorporated. Gradually add wet ingredients.
- Continue mixing for about 2 minutes until dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Scrape down sides and ppur batter into the pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool and then remove it from the pan to serve
This recipe has been updated with new pictures and video