Nigerian Fried Rice puts a spicy, flavorful spin on the traditional fried rice and is appealing on its own or served with a variety of other African foods.
I would say it is a complete meal on it’s own…don’t worry about sides or protein unless you are going all out!
I love making fried rice at home because it is easy to put together and with the money you could spend ordering out. You can make this dish at home and everyone would love it -even the picky eaters.
So what sets this fried rice apart? The addition of thyme, curry, and liver (which is completely optional) but I love it in here. I grew up eating cow liver and chicken liver so I am a fan of ovals.
Now the best part about this fried rice is that it is completely customizable to your taste. Can’t stand liver? Swap it out for beef or chicken or just double the shrimp.
If you are a vegetarian, leave out the meat completely and increase the vegetables.
Watch How to Make It
Nigerian Fried Rice puts a spicy, flavorful spin on the traditional fried rice and is appealing on its own or served with a variety of other African food.
- 6 cups cooked rice I used Basmati
- 1/4- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2- pound liver cut bite size
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon pepper sauce chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1-2 teaspoon maggie powder or chicken bouillon optional
- 1 tablespoon maggie liquid or soy sauce optional
- salt to taste
- 12-16 oz vegetables peas, carrots, green beans
- Break up the clumpy rice before starting.
- Heat a large wok or skillet on medium high heat with about a tablespoon of canola or vegetable oil.
- Add the rice stir vigorously for about 2-3 minutes adding Maggie liquid and a tablespoon or more of water or chicken/beef stock as need to moistened rice. Set aside. Quickly wipe the wok or skillet with a clean paper towel or cloth.
Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in the wok; add shrimp, lightly season with salt. Sauté until just cooked through. Remove and add to the fried rice.
Next add another tablespoon of oil, let it heat up, then add the liver or beef lightly season with salt and pepper, quickly stir fry for about a 2 minutes. Remove and add to the rice. Quickly wipe the wok or skillet with a clean paper towel or cloth.
Then add a tablespoon of oil into the wok, followed by onions, thyme, garlic, peas, carrots, pepper sauce,white pepper, curry powder, and chicken bouillon powder. Stir until fragrant for about 2 minutes.
- Finally return the combination of rice, liver, and shrimp to the wok. Stir until everything has been fully combined. Adjust seasoning salt, pepper if necessary.
- Garnish with chopped scallion and serve