Papaya Fool – a tasty and less guilt dessert that you’d happily oblige to finish in one sitting made with tofu, coconut cream, milk, lime and brown sugar. A great summer treat or party dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth craving!
I just couldn’t let April fool day go by without posting this papaya fool recipe. I have tried so many tasty papaya fool out there, with cheese, cream , custard and all are refreshing and decadent .For this recipe though, I decided to do vegan .Okay, am not going vegan….love me some steak.
But recently something is pushing me to get out of my comfort zone- simplicity is no more a virtue; doing the same things over and over will only produce the same results. Right? So out pops…..tofu, my new friend.
Any ingredient that will help in calorie reduction and overall health is something am gradually incorporating in my recipes. I always shied away from buying tofu because that is just not my thing and whenever I did, it would always go to waste. But no more! From now on, am making the most use of it.
Papaya fool is a traditional mousse-like British dessert made out of fruit and cream- a simple and easy dessert to make, that requires very little time. I replaced the cheese and cream with tofu and included coconut powder, milk, lime and brown sugar. You can replace the coconut milk with coconut cream, if coconut powder is not available. They are usually sold in Asian super markets. I always keep a packet handy for an intensified coconut flavor.
Select papaya that is ripe (yellowish), it should feel heavy for its size then, let them fully ripen at home to bring out its natural sweetness. When fully ripe it should be reddish orange on the inside- sweet, juicy and soft. Peel the skin, cut up in small pieces ,puree the papaya and fold in the tofu cream-for a fruity, light and refreshing dessert or snack.
So fool your family and friends with this dessert, without revealing the secret ingredient. You will be a fool if you do not make it!!! Happy April fool.
- 2 -3 cups diced papaya , 2 -3 pound of ripe papaya
- 1 16- oz. package soft tofu
- ¼ cup coconut cream sub coconut milk and 1 tablespoon powder
- 2- 3 tablespoon of brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lime
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring optional
- Peel and cut the papayas into small pieces and place them in a food processor, blend until coarsely puréed. Set aside.
- Place tofu, coconut cream in a food processor. Process until creamy, add sugar, lime juice, vanilla and stir or pulse to combine.
- In a large bowl, gently fold the papaya puree into the creamy tofu blend just until blended. Garnish with mint and serve immediately.
Leave a Review