Saucy Roasted Chicken on a Bed of Vegetables – a great make-ahead one-pot meal that is hearty, flavorful and family-friendly. Loaded with proteins and veggies, too!
This is a fine recipe that could work for a weeknight or weekend, because there’s no last minute mess to contend with. You can prepare the vegetables and sauce ahead of time, marinate the chicken let it rest for an hour or overnight and pop in the oven before dinner .You can even cut the vegetables (in large chunks) place in a plastic bag, refrigerate for a few days until you are ready to go.
This one pot meal is hearty, flavorful… and huge- you can feed the whole family and still have some left over . Just finished my leftover , guess what ? It tastes even better the next day.
When you cook up this chicken meal be content , that everyone will have THE essential food group to nourish their bodies in a single serving – carbohydrates (potatoes), vegetables (zucchini, carrots, green pepper, tomatoes) and protein.
Use any chicken parts, you have available, my preference thighs and legs- they are the tastiest part of the chicken to me and they stay moist and juicy. Onions, garlic and rosemary provide the backbone of flavor ,while tomatoes add depth to this roasted chicken and vegetables.
A few dried spices from the pantry –paprika, and cayenne pepper round out the base of flavor in this baked chicken and vegetables. Omit the potatoes for a paleo friendly dish.
Roasted Chicken on Bed Vegetables
- 2 ½ - 3 pounds chicken legs and thighs
- 2 teaspoons salt plus more to taste
- 1 small onion
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1-2 teaspoons thyme or rosemary
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2-3 roma tomatoes or 14-5 0z canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon bouillon powder
- 2 pounds vegetables (zucchini, carrots,)
- 1 green pepper , sliced
- ¾ - 1 pound red potatoes or new potatoes
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Trim chicken of excess fat and pat dry with a cloth or paper napkin. Rub with lemon, salt and pepper.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the rosemary, tomatoes, ½ onions, Maggi/bouillon, garlic, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. Pulse for about 30 seconds until blended.
- Drench the chicken with tomato sauce, and refrigerate for about 2 or more hours preferably overnight.
- Slice vegetables into large chunks and place in a 9 by 13 baking dishpan together with, green pepper, and the remaining onions
- When ready to bake place the chicken and sauce on top of the bed of vegetables and potatoes. Sprinkle with parsley .
- Bake UN covered for about 60 to 90 minutes until chicken is ready. Occasionally basting the chicken with sauce from the dish.