Black Bean and Corn Salad – fresh bowl of summery goodness with black beans, corn and diced veggies with a nutty, little bit of spicy, sweet and fresh flavor. Makes a great appetizer with chips, toppings on grilled meat or as a side dish.
It is this time of the year, that I consume more salads that I could possibly think. Well, I’m more of a meaty person compared to hubby who’s more into veggies. But when it comes to summer season, I’d love to indulge on fresh veggies and fruits – more specifically salads.
This Black Bean Corn Salad is a combination of two of my favorite indulgence – corn and beans. Toss it with diced veggies like green onions, jalapeno, red bell pepper and so on, and you’ll love the freshness of all these veggies, the color and crunch all happening in your mouth.
What I even loooove more about this Black Bean Corn Salad is that it is so easy to prepare with few simple ingredients. You can even add whatever veggies rock your boat. The goal of this salad is to taste the freshness of the veggies without an overpowering dressing.
I’d like to keep the flavoring of this salad simple with a dash of cumin, some garlic, a tablespoon or two of honey, olive oil, cilantro and salt and pepper to taste. That’s it!
And of course, I would never forget to top this salad with avocado for an added texture. You can eat this bowl of salad for lunch, dinner on its own or as accompaniment with your favorite chips or grilled meat.
Probably the hardest part of this dish, is the chopping and the waiting. It is best served when chilled to allow the flavors to sink in beautifully. But if you’re like me who hates to wait when it comes to good food, you can always have a cup of this Black Bean Corn Salad before it gets into the fridge. It taste so fresh and fantastic! 😉
Need more salad in your life? Check out a couple of my personal favorite go-to easy salads here.
Tips and Notes:
- You can toss additional veggies to your liking.
- You can use canned corn kernels. Make sure to drain it thoroughly.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Or let it sit overnight in the fridge.
- You can serve this as an appetizer with some chips, toss it on top of grilled chicken or meat or stuff it on tacos/burritos.
- Squeeze some fresh lime, if desired.
Black Bean Corn Salad
- 2 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained (or 1 1/2 cups of freshly cooked black beans)
- 2 cups corn (I used fresh corn )
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño pepper , seeded and minced
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- ½ cup diced purple onions
- 2 fresh plum tomatoes , seeded and chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin or more (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 -2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado , peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil, then add the corn kernels, cook for about a minute or two minutes.
- Immediately drain the water and rinse in cold water. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the black beans, corn, green onions, jalapeno peppers, bell pepper, purple onions and tomatoes.
- Add cumin, minced garlic, honey, olive oil ,cilantro, salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss, add avocados and chill until serving.