Braised chicken garlic thyme –This one pot chicken meal is cooked to absolute perfection in a flavorful garlic and mustard sauce with potatoes and vegetables.
This chicken is a spin off from this Senegalese garlic and mustard chicken here.
Had excess amount of thyme and decided to throw it in the mix. Always have a bunch in my fridge and seriously love the flavor – it adds some sparkle and brightens up proteins and soups.
First time I made this chicken was without any vegetables or potatoes.
The second time around had a few vegetables laying around and thought it would be more appealing with some vegetables and potatoes in the mix.
Seriously, who doesn’t like one-pot meals? You only dirty one pot although I may love to cook, I really don’t love to clean! Especially on weekdays when you have so much happening.
By the way, most of my chicken recipes involve thighs or legs because they are so dang affordable and don’t require much prep. You can always use whole chicken, like I do sometimes.
For the most part whenever chicken is involve, especially when making stews I like searing the chicken first; it caramelizes the surface of the chicken, which boost the flavor and makes the overall dish pretty darn tasty.
I don’t know about you but flat and boring meals do not rock my boat. For the most part all it takes is an additional 10 minutes and you can easily make a distinction between both.
This recipe requires you use a skillet or oven safe cookware. Here, I used a 12-inch skillet. Also I marinate the chicken before searing. The first time around I used garlic, thyme and paprika. Second time around I went the Cajun route with creole seasoning and generously sprinkled with paprika. Feel free to use your favorite spice blend.
I used about 3- 31/2 pounds of chicken and vegetables together. Switch them up as you please
Braised Thyme , Garlic , Mustard Chicken
- 1 teaspoons garlic
- ½ teaspoons thyme
- White pepper to taste
- 1- 11/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste I used Cajun seasoning salt
- 2-3 pounds of chicken thighs legs, skin on
- 1 Large Onions Sliced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 -3 Tablespoons mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced thyme
- 1- teaspoon paprika
- 1- pound vegetables baby potatoes, green beans and carrots cut up
- 2 cups or more chicken broth or water.
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Salt to taste
- Trim chicken of excess fat and pat dry with a cloth or paper napkin.
- Season chicken with; garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. You may let it marinate, if you have the time.
- When ready to make, Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Place about 1 tablespoon or more of oil in a cast iron, or frying pan.
- Add chicken to the pan and sear for about 3-4 minutes on each side or until slightly browned, it’s going to finish up browning in the oven. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add garlic, onions, thyme, bay leaf and paprika, sauté for about a minute or two
- Add, mustard and about 2 cups chicken broth or water, bring to ta boil. Let it simmer for about 2 minutes. Adjust for seasoning.
- Place the chicken back in the cast iron on top of the thyme mustard sauce, followed by the potatoes and vegetables
- Bake for about 35 -40 minutes until chicken is done and potatoes are tender
- Remove from oven let it cool before serving. You may garnish with parsley.
Tips & Notes:
- Marinate the chicken first before searing. Feel free to use your favorite spice blend.
Trim chicken of excess fat and pat dry with a cloth or paper napkin. Season chicken with; garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. You may let it marinate, if you have the time.
Sear chicken for about 3-5 minutes per side , be careful not to let it burn. When chicken is slightly brown. Remove and set aside.
In the same pan, add garlic, onions, thyme, bay leaf and paprika, sauté for about a minute or two
Add, mustard and about 2 cups chicken broth or water, bring to ta boil. Let it simmer for about 2 minutes. Adjust for seasoning
Place the chicken back in the cast iron on top of the thyme mustard sauce, followed by the potatoes and vegetables
Bake for about 35 -40 minutes until chicken is done and potatoes are tender
Leave a Review