Ropa Vieja Slow Cooker- A Cuban favorite shredded beef that you can easily make right at home – and the homemade version tastes even better!
Today, my friends, I like to share with you a super flavorful, tender beef recipe from Cuba. A recipe, I have enjoyed countless times, but have never taken the time to make at home, until now.
Ropa Vieja is so called that because it is made from shredded beef ,resembling shredded old clothes. These may not look like old clothes but I guarantee they taste better than old clothes- LoL.
You see, I live a walking distance to this super popular Cuban Restaurant in Los Angeles. This place has been serving fairly good food. But lately, it has taken a down ward turn- a hit or miss these days .The other day I ordered garlic pork and for the life of me could not enjoy it.
I don’t know about you but I don’t like to waste my calories (I have a limited amount of calories to consume) so it ended up in the trash can. After wasting my hard earned money, I figured it’s about time I start making some of these recipes at home, it might not be truly authentic but it’s something I can savor and nothing is going to go to waste .
Here, the crockpot does most of the work for you BUT hold on… You have to prep if first to make it even more fabulous. prep, sear the roast first, before adding it to the pot to add flavor to the overall dish, then you add to the crockpot with half of the ingredients, and a few hours later, magic happens and dinner is ready.
Flank meat low and slow is the way to go- it produces tender beef and excellent flavor. If you do not have a slow cooker and want to cook this beef. You sure can braise in a Dutch oven until tender.
Serve it with rice and tostones.
But why stop there. Take 15 minutes to make the sauce and you would be glad you did Enjoy!!!
Ropa Vieja Slow Cooker
- ¼ cup vegetable oil or more
- 2- 2 1/2 pounds beef flank steak , skirt or roast
- salt , pepper, cumin and Sazon (adjust to taste)
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 Large Onion , sliced
- 4-5 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 bell peppers (red, green), seeded and sliced into strips
- 2 tomatoes sliced into strips
- 1 can (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 thyme spring
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-2 cup beef broth
- 1-2 packet Sazon (sub beef or chicken bouillon)
- 2-3 Tablespoon parsley/cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- Trim beef of any excess fat , then season salt , pepper cumin and sazon Adjust to taste .
- Heat about 2 tablespoon oil in skillet on medium, place beef in a single layer and sear meat on both sides until brown. About 3-4 minutes each side. Throw in bay leaves after browning on one side
- Add remaining oil to the skillet over medium high heat. Then add onions, , garlic, bell peppers, tomatoes , tomato sauce ,thyme, paprika, cumin, and sazon. Cook for about 3-5 minutes. Add broth. Turn off heat and add 3/4 of the sauce to the slow cooker.
- slow cook, until beef is tender, about 3 1/2--4 hours on High or 7 -8 hours on low, and can be easily shredded using two forks. Remove beef and set aside.
- Add 1-2 cups of the sauce from the crockpot to the the remaining sauce . Cook for about 2 minutes or more . Add more seasoning (sazon ) if need. Throw in parsley. Adjust seasoning
- Finally, add shredded beef and stir for a minute. Serve with rice , beans, and tostones.