These appetizing crunchy CHICKEN TOSTADAS are all you need to satisfy your Tex-Mex cravings. Mixing the salsa, guacamole, and cheese flavors perfectly complement the toasty tortilla and the tender flavorful shredded chicken. It’s so easy and affordable to make, you can easily make some any time you want!
If you’re like me, you must love hosting parties. A good get together can be started with the right tostada whether it’s with your family or close friends.
One of my favorite finger food is this Chicken Tostadas recipe because it’s so easy to make. Just assemble the few simple ingredients and BAAAM! You have your perfect Tex-Mex appetizer. Let’s take a closer look at this yummy loaded crowd-favorite dish.
What are Tostadas?
Tostada, or Toastada to some, is a term that literally translates to “toasted”. You’ll often see this term in Mexican or Latin American cuisines where it originated. The term itself is a type of food served both in restaurants and street stalls.
A typical tostada recipe consists of an edible bowl-shaped base made from a tortilla. Fillings are usually shredded meat, usually pork, along with fresh salsa and guacamole. It looks like an open taco when you look at it but the tortilla is crunchy and perfectly toasted.
Chicken tostadas are somehow similar by using pulled chicken meat as the main ingredient.
Chicken Tostadas Ingredients
I’m a firm believer that every good dish comes from the heart. This is why I would highly recommend you to make the ingredients or parts of the tostada from scratch. Don’t worry, I’ll show you some tips to make your life a whole lot easier.
The base of our tortilla (see my Homemade TORTILLA HERE) should be firm enough to hold all the Chicken Tostadas ingredients but light enough to be carried around. The good thing is that you have the option to either fry or bake it. So long as our tortilla base is round and crunchy.
The simplest way to make shredded or pulled chicken is to cook it in water. Just boil the skinless and boneless chicken until the center reaches 165 F. You can simply pull the meat apart using two forks. You can view this Shredded Chicken to give you an idea of what the meat should look like.
Nothing beats biting into a crunchy tostada especially when it has the flavorful freshness of creamy guacamole. Trust me when I say that fresh guac is top-tier tasty. Skip the bottled ones and make your own with this Easy Homemade Guacamole recipe.
It wouldn’t be Tex-Mex without frijoles or refried beans. Preparing the beans for this recipe is so easy especially when you have this homeade Refried Beans guide.
Give it a more Latin personality by adding simple homemade salsa as a topping. Season some chopped onions, tomato, and parsley with salt and pepper to fully extract the flavors.
A creamy savory ingredient that I love in this recipe is the Jack or Monterey Jack Cheese. It has its own mild flavor that gives a smooth blend of all the flavors especially when melted. That’s my favorite part!
You can add these ingredients to your recipe to make it your own or just to add a little more love to your tostada.
Homemade Ranch Dressing – for an extra creamy tangy taste
Sour cream – a sweet, sour, and creamy addition.
Cilantro – for an earthier and nuttier flavor.
Lime Wedges – if you want a stronger kick of tanginess and freshness.
Pairings and Variations
Tostada is a popular Mexican appetizer that you can be served at almost any occasion. What I love about it is that you can pair it with almost anything.
One popular variation for this is the Breakfast Chicken tostada which is made by adding fried egg on your assembly. Your flavorful tender chicken is complemented by the humble taste of the breakfast egg.
If your main course is Chicken Fajitas, this tostada will be a perfect palette starter. The natural tender flavor of the chicken will seamlessly blend with the charred bell peppers for your entrée.
If you plan to make chicken tostadas for the long weekend, you better have a good sangria prepared. you can try this Tropical Sangria for a perfect relaxing weekend. A good cerveza can be a great substitute as well. Just be sure to drink moderately.
Want to make a vegan version of this recipe? Skip the shredded chicken and cheese, and just go with refried beans along with the other fixings!
More Mexican Recipes You Would Love
Planning for a Mexican night with family or friends? Don’t worry. I got loads for you to choose from.
How to Make Chicken Tostadas
Preheat the oven to 400°F, then spray the baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside. Lightly spray both sides of the tortillas with cooking spray. You can equally brush with cooking oil. Place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly season them with salt. Bake for 3 minutes, flip them over and bake for an added 2-3 minutes or until the tortillas are crispy and slightly turn brown. Keep in mind that they will dry out and firm up a little once they have cooled. Be sure to keep a close eye on it! (See the FRIED VERSION in the recipe box)
Make sure the refried beans and chicken are at room temperature or warm before assembling the tostadas. Layer your fried/baked tostada with either the refried beans or shredded chicken. Then followed by the rest of the other toppings. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- 4-6 (8-inch) flour or corn tortillas
- oil for frying or baking tortillas
- 2-3 cups shredded chicken , (see notes for options)
- 2 cups refried beans , Homemade version here
- 1- 1 ½ cups shredded Jack cheese or Monterey Jack , (see notes)
- 1 ½ -2 cups iceberg lettuce , thinly sliced
- 1 large or 2 medium avocados , peeled and pitted, diced or guacamole
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes , diced
- ranch dressing , (homemade here)
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1-2 green onions , diced
- cilantro , chopped
- lime wedges
Baked Version Tostadas
- Preheat the oven to 400°F, then spray baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Lightly spray both sides of the tortillas with cooking spray. You can equally brush with cooking oil.
- Place in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly season them with salt.
- Bake for 3 minutes, flip them over and bake for an added 2-3 minutes or until the tortillas are crispy and slightly turn brown. Keep in mind that they will dry out and firm up a little once they have cooled. Be sure to keep a close eye on it!
Fried Version Tostadas
- In a deep fry pan, add enough oil to go fill about 1/4-inch upside of the pan.
- Place on medium heat. As soon drop of water sizzles in oil, it is good. You can equally use thermometer and measure 360 Degrees F.
- Gently add tortilla, cook for about 30 seconds to a minute per side. Use metal tongs to plunge the tortilla in the oil as it cooks. (If the tostada brown too quickly, reduce the heat and let the oil cool for a minute before continuing.)
- Remove and place on paper towel, it should be crisp and slightly brown. Continue with remaining tortillas.
- Make sure the refried beans, and chicken are at room temperature or warm before assembling the tostadas.
- Layer your fried/baked tostada with either the refried beans or shredded chicken. Then followed by the rest of the other toppings. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Tips & Notes:
- If you don't have time to prepare this shredded chicken HERE, you can always use any leftover rotisserie chicken. Simply shred them using two forks by hand or using your stand mixer.
- Asie from Monterey Jack cheese, you may also sub it with crumbled Feta or Cotija cheese, grated Mozzarella, or Queso Fresco.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Leave a Review