Caribbean Grilled Chicken Salad – For the taste of the tropics enjoy this Chili’s Caribbean Chicken Salad at home – easier than you think. It’s absolutely packed with flavor!
When we go out to eat I rarely go for salads, unless it has a lot of layers to it. Why bother going out to eat salads anyways? They never leave you satisfied or full at least that is how I feel. Then you know what I end up doing? Filling myself with carbs – the bottomless breadbasket, don’t get me started on those restaurant bread rolls, biscuits etc., some of those breads are quite addictive! I’m addicted to carbs.
Since I was raised on French baguette and just can’t shake it off. See when it comes to bread I would just love to keep going. Back to this salad shall we?
If you are looking for a satisfying, delicious and full flavored salad, then look no further. I promise, you will not be disappointed. This one, my friends, is different. It will keep you satisfied and full for quite some time.
But I’m not going to lie when I saw this Caribbean Grilled Chicken Salad on Chili’s menu I was intrigued, I just had to try it. It was quite tasty!
This salad is inspired by Chili’s Caribbean grill chicken salad. Their salad is full of fruit, pineapple, cranberries mandarin, topped with teriyaki chicken, and a sweet honey mustard dressing, served with salsa and tortilla chips.
This is a variant on the salad with the help of Google I got some the major components in the dressing. And to make it truly Caribbean I added jerk seasoning to the teriyaki sauce, and included some plantain chips instead of tortilla chips. Also left out the mandarin and cranberries. Feel free to include them.
If you are not feeling the plantain chips, by all means, leave them out. It is all about what you like.
Caribbean Grilled Chicken Salad
PICO DE GALLO
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- ½ cup finely minced red onion
- 2 tsp. finely minced fresh cilantro
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- 2 tsp. finely diced seeded jalapeno peppers
- 1 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 bunch Romaine lettuce
- 1-2 cup sliced red cabbage
- 1-2 cups fresh pineapple sliced/diced
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce
- ¼ cup pineapple juice or water
- 2 Tablespoons Jerk Seasoning spice
- 2 cups Plantain Chips tortilla chips
HONEY-LIME SALAD DRESSING
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. lime juice/Lemon
- ½ to 1 tsp. grated lime zest
PICO DE GALLO
- Combine all ingredients, tomatoes, onions, garlic, red bell pepper, jalapenos in a bowl, mix and place in the fridge until ready to be served until ready to serve.
HONEY-LIME SALAD DRESSING:
- Whisk together the honey lime dressing; honey mustard, Greek yogurt, sesame oil, lime juice/lemon juice and vinegar. Mix well to combine and adjust for seasoning. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl add teriyaki, Jerk spice and water.
- Cover with saran wrap or place in zip lock bag, let it marinate for about an hour or preferably overnight.
- After chicken has marinated prepare a hot grill by spraying with cooking spray.
- When ready to grill remove chicken from marinade and shake off excess marinade.
- Grill on grill pan with about a tablespoon of oil. Grill chicken until cooked through, about five minutes per side. You may do this using a fry pan; instead of 1 tablespoon of oil use 2 tablespoons.
- Let seat for a few minutes. Cut chicken into strip size or chunks pieces.
- In a large plate arrange romaine lettuce, pica de galo, pineapple, and purple cabbage. Serve with plantain chips and honey lime dressing on the side.
Tips & Notes:
- If you are not feeling the plantain chips, by all means leave them out.