Mushroom Rice – a very straight forward one-pan meal with browned bacon bits and mushrooms and a dash of smoky heat from paprika and creole seasoning. You can skip the other dishes and enjoy this as a stand-alone meal! Vegan or Not
This rice recipe is seriously everything. I kid you not!
From flavor, to ease – you’ll definitely want this Mushroom Rice on and on and on. Just imagine how all those rice get soaked and cooked with all the flavors and juices from the bacon bits and mushroom topped with the rest of the ingredients.
Everything happens in a PAN! You barely need to lift a finger here. You just have to saute the ingredients and let the juices cook the rice. And if that doesn’t make you fall in love with this, then I don’t know what.
Now you ask, what really makes this Mushroom Rice here special? There’s nothing really. I know, such a bummer.
But here’s what I think makes this recipe a cut above the rest.
- The bacon bits are browned and with some bacon drippings left in the pan. This unlocks the first level of flavor.
- Once you transfer the bacon bits, you use a part of those bacon oil in the pan as a base to saute the mushrooms. I prefer browning the mushrooms with butter as it gives off a better taste. But regular cooking oil works fine, too. Cooking the mushrooms in butter and bacon oil combo guarantees a better-seasoned mushrooms. Now where are my mushroom lovers here? 😀
- When you deglaze the pan with water, it lets the uncooked rice get soaked and cooked in every inch of it from the smoky bacon and mushroom combo. All the great flavors end up with the rice.
And let’s not also forget the fact that the addition of smoked paprika and creole seasoning in this rice recipe takes it to the next level.
Protein?!? Who needs a side dish of this amazingly delicious rice dish. Actually, it’s not JUST A RICE! That I know for sure. If you’re into rice and want more exciting way of preparing rice, then just CLICK THIS and head over to my blog for a great list of rice recipes. I even have a summer rice. 😉
Tips and Notes:
- For vegan option – omit bacon .
- Use whatever mushrooms you want. But button mushrooms are more preferred since they are mostly mushroomy.
- I use Basmati Rice for this recipe OR you can also use Jasmine rice which also results to nice and fluffy rice like those that’d result when using any long grained rice..
- You may also use brown rice but you need to add adjust the broth amount and cooking time. Check the at 30 minutes, then every five minutes to ensure your rice wouldn’t dry out.
- 4-5 thick cut bacon , diced
- 1-2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 3 cups mushroom (about 10 ounce )
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 2-3 garlic clove , minced
- ½-1 tablespoon diced jalapenos pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt free creole seasoning
- 4 cups water or vegetable/ chicken broth
- 2 cups washed long grain rice (I used basmati)
- Salt to taste
- 1 -2 green onions
In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté bacon until brown and crisp. This may take about 5-5 minutes.
Remove bacon from skillet and transfer to a plate. There will be some bacon drippings left in the pan (about 3 tablespoons).
Add about oil / butter to the pan. Throw in mushroom, saute for about 2-3 minutes.
Then add onions, garlic, jalapenos, thyme, smoked paprika and creole seasoning.
Pour in broth, followed by rice, bacon (I reserved some to top), salt and pepper to taste, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover with a lid and simmer until rice is cooked - about 20 minutes or more. Add green onions.
Adjust for salt and pepper.
There will be some bacon drippings left in the pan (about 3 tablespoons). dd about oil / butter to the pan. Throw in mushroom, saute for about 2-3 minutes. hen add onions, garlic, jalapenos and thyme.
Followed by smoked paprika and creole seasoning. pour in broth, followed by rice, bacon (I reserved some to top), salt and pepper to taste, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover with a lid and simmer until rice is cooked – about 20 minutes or more.
Add green onions. Adjust for salt and pepper.