Caribbean Quinoa and beans Bowl – A lightened-up, Nutritious Caribbean Quinoa and beans that will keep you satisfied. – So healthy, Tasty and full of flavor
Rice and beans or peas is found on just about every Caribbean restaurant menu and it’s quite delicious too! Yes I confess, I do love me some real rice and peas. And can’t go too long without making them, would never to willingly give it up completely, but sometimes we just have to go the healthy route.
This is a healthy remake of Caribbean Rice and Beans with quinoa.
And let me say it is DELICIOUS. Just as tasty as the one made with rice.
Lets face it Quinoa can be boring but the benefits are astounding, a mother grain”- quite unlike other grains: It’s a complete protein, packed with all the essential amino acids in a balanced protein.
Aaaand often cited as one of the BEST protein sources in the vegetable kingdom. Yes, I did some homework! Just in case you are not aware. But feel free to share if you have more to over. Am new to this too.
Instead of just making a remake on this I wanted to make it even more exciting and still keep it healthy for you. So there would be no excuses not to make it!
These are a few things I did to cut down on the calories feel free to adjust as necessary.
- I switched out the full fat coconut milk with lite coconut milk and only used a cup. This made a significant difference, calorie wise, cutting in more than half. You may completely leave out the coconut milk in place of chicken or vegetable broth.
- Also I cut the oil in half, adjust accordingly.
- To make it a complete meal for carnivores, I stir fried about a pound of chicken breast and vegetables separately with jerk seasoning to make it quinoa bowl.
- Top it with avocado if you like.
- This does not mean, you have a “ carte blanche “ to indulge but it does give you the opportunity to enjoy with less guilt
- You may replace the scotch bonnet pepper with cayenne pepper(about 1/4 teaspoon or more adjust to taste.
Next time you are in need rice and beans try this one instead .You’ll be glad you did.Enjoy!!
Caribbean Quinoa and beans Bowl – A lightened-up, Nutritious Caribbean Quinoa and beans that will keep you satisfied. – So healthy, Tasty and full of flavor.
- 2-4 Tablespoons Canola or cooking oil
- 2- garlic clove minced
- ½ medium onion diced
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or water
- 15.5 oz. can red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper or cayenne pepper 1/4 teaspoons or more
- 1 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon (optional
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Wash Quinoa and drain water from it.
Heat a sauce pan with oil. Then add onions, garlic, paprika, thyme, bay leaves and hot pepper, sauté for about a minute.
Stir in quinoa to the pan , continue stirring for about a minute or 2,
Next add beans , coconut milk, salt, bouillon pepper (if using any )with water .
Bring to a boil reduce heat, and simmer until quinoa is cooked, about 20 minutes or more.
Adjust for salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves Serve warm