Roast Chicken with East African flavors – It’s unbelievably crisp-tender and packed with so much flavor! With less than 10 mins prep tops!
If you go through my kitchen cabinet you would find all kinds of spices- Ranging from indigenous spices, straight from Africa, a collection of Asian and Caribbean spices, that I have collected over a couple of years, coupled with everyday basic American spices. I love them all! And, always on the look out for more.
You see, I easily get bored with spices, a far cry from a decade ago, that all I enjoyed was grilled steak with pepper and salt.Was so closed off to trying anything, that did not fall into a certain category of spices.
But now, am completely over that decade. AND there is this beast in me that want to try more. I have even mustered the courage to put together different spice blends- Oh yes!
I don’t know why I shed money buying copious amount of spice blends when I do have the ingredients rutting away in my pantry.
Why oh why! I am going to be sharing a few, so stay tuned.
This roast chicken is based on a few of East African(Kenya, Tanzania) and Swahili spices that I have come to love- cardamom one of my favorite both in sweet and savory dishes, cumin, ginger and heat!
Coconut oil adds another dimension to this Chicken,you may sub with any oil or butter.
This chicken is super crisp out of the oven and taste AMAZING! The prep time is an added bonus, 10 minutes or less -gather ingredients, wipe chicken rub and roast . How easy is that?
While it is cooking you can spend the rest of your free time watching TV, or fixing sides.
Adjust pepper according to preference. Heat seekers go for it and add more chili or cayenne pepper, don’t let me stop you from getting your groove on.
Chicken With East African Flavors
- 3 -3 ½ pound whole chicken , or chicken parts
- 1 Tablespoon parsley or basil herbs
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon onion powder
- 1 ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1-2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½- 1 teaspoon cumin spice
- ½ teaspoon cardamom spice
- ½ teaspoon chilli pepper pepper or more
- 1/2 cayenne pepper optional
- 2-3 tablespoon or more coconut oil use any cooking oil
- Wash chicken and place them on a cookie sheet in a single layer, if using chicken parts , then let them sit in the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours or preferable overnight. Do not cover them; let the air-dry them out. This is optional for extra crispy chicken , omit proceed with the spices.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl or place rub with all the spicies, and then drizzle with oil.
- Line a baking pan with foil; top with a wire rack.
- Place chicken in roast pan, loosely cover and roast for about 50 minutes, then uncover and cook an additional 15 to 30 minutes. Remove and let it rest before serving.
Tips & Notes:
- Though it is advisable to let the chicken dry out in the fridge you do not have too. I rarely do it.
- You may place some rub under chicken. If you prefer salt chicken first and then combine all spices and use.
- Coconut oil adds another dimension to this Chicken, you may sub with any oil or butter.