Piri-Piri Sauce is a blend of African bird’s eye chili that is mostly grown in African countries. It is sour, a little sweet and slightly salty- making it a really complex and versatile sauce that you can use on almost anything.
African bird’s eye chili, or Peri Peri is a hot pepper that is grown in most African countries. According to Wekipedia, It grows mainly in Malawi, Zambia, South Africa, Ghana, Nigeria, Zimbabwe and Mozambique. I would add Cameroon too! It goes under different aliases depending on the country
Although this is pepper has it’s root it Africa, it was imported to Portugal from African Portuguese colonies. Today, most of the hot sauces in Portugal are referred to as peri peri- Swahili word for hot.
This is my version of this hot sauce, is made with hot chili pepper that I got from one of the Asian vendors, at my local farmers market. They carry so many fresh produce (vegetables, fruits that are hard to get)- Check out your vendors at the farmers market. You can purchase this pepper in North America, at Asian, Hispanic and some Indian markets or just use Jalapeno peppers.
Here, the chilies are blended together with fresh garlic, jalapeno pepper, red pepper, basil, onions and oregano. It is then mix with smoked paprika, salt, lemon and olive oil. It is sour, a little sweet and slightly salty- making it a really complex and versatile sauce that you can use on almost anything. The good thing is you can adjust the pepper to suit your heat level. If you are a heat seeker then double the peppers!!!
Now, if you are one of those people (lots of them in my family) that do not like acidity in your pepper sauce then this is not for you. However, I got you covered with this!
African sauce here will rock your life your life. If you are grilling this summer be sure to have this sauce handy it will rock your summer.
Piri-Piri Sauce is a blend of African bird's eye chili that is mostly grown in African countries. It is sour, a little sweet and slightly salty- making it a really complex and versatile sauce that you can use on almost anything.
- 1- cup olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- ½ medium red pepper
- 2-3 fresh jalapeno peppers coarsely chopped, seeds removed
- 6 fresh chili pepper or more coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt plus more to taste.
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- Juice of I medium sized lemon adjust to taste
- 4 large basil leaves
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh oregano
- ¼ cup dark vinegar optional
- Blend red pepper, jalapeno pepper, chilli pepper, garlic, basil , oregano, and onions in a food processor or blender. Add olive oil to facilitate blending. Then mix in smoked paprika, lemon juice black or white pepper and vinegar. Adjust for salt and seasoning. Refrigerate and use when ready