Coconut Bake (Coconut Bread) – a Caribbean-inspired bread that has a gritty texture and primarily made with freshly grated coconut, whole wheat flour, milk, and just a hint of sweetness. It’s easy to throw together and makes you satiated for hours!
Coconuts fall into the category of being an either love me or hate me food, I find them irresistible. Love them in savory dishes like coconut rice; adore them in any sweets especially coconut bakes!
Coconuts are easily incorporated in any type of sweet or savory dish and more important you can use the most of every part of a coconut except, of course, the outer layer.
What are coconut bakes? In the Caribbean, bake is the term use to describe any bread that is made with a leavening, or rising agent. So this could also be called coconut bread, in the United States. This tasty bread has a gritty texture from the grated coconut.
Ever since I ventured in the realm of coconut bakes, I have tried different variations –incorporating a healthy ingredient in to it and still trying not to take away from the overall taste or texture of the bread.
This bread is easy to throw together and is on the healthier side of coconut breads. It is made with freshly grated coconut, whole wheat flour, milk, 2 tablespoon sugar and only 3 tablespoons of butter and it leaves you deeply satisfied. You could substitute freshly grated coconut with coconut flakes.
These are often serve them with tasty fillings such as fried cod fish to just plain butter. My favorite way of eating them is with jelly and strawberries- it makes for one heavenly combination.
Coconut Bake (Coconut Bread)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ whole or low-fat milk
- ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Crack open the coconut as seen HERE.
- Cut the coconut into little pieces and place in food processor, pulse several times until fine in texture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour and A.P flour.
- Mix the butter with the tip of your fingers until coarse meal forms or you can use a food processor for this part and pulse.
- Stir in grated coconut, sugar, baking powder, and nutmeg.
- Finally pour in the milk and mix with your hands until dough clumps together
- On a very lightly floured surface divide the dough into 3; roll out dough with a rolling pin into a circle about 1-2 inches thick.
- Decorate the dough by pricking it with a fork. Let it rest for about 10
- Place dough on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Best serve warm