Cube Steak and Mushroom Onion Gravy – fuss-free weeknight dinner featuring budget-friendly tender meaty steaks bathed in a tasty beefy mushroom onion gravy sauce. Your family is going to love this!
This Cube Steak with Mushroom Onion Gravy is one of those recipes sent from up above to save busy (or not-so-busy) moms. Economical, fuss-free, and super DELICIOUS dinner that you can proudly serve to your family (and even guests) without any judgment.
Why you ask? ‘Cause they’ll be too busy chowing down on this that you won’t hear a single word from them. Oh well, that last part may sound a little exaggerated, but you get my point, right?
What is Cube Steak?
This delicious Cube Steak with Mushroom Onion Gravy recipe is like a cross-product between this Chicken Fried Steak and Salisbury Steak. It uses the LESS EXPENSIVE cube steak which is a cut of beef – usually, top round or top sirloin – that is tenderized and flattened, although it could get a little bit tough at times, depending on how it’s cooked.
In some parts of the world like Canada, Australia, Ireland, and other parts of the U.S. it’s known as “minute steak” because it can be cooked in just a matter of MINUTES. In fact, this recipe comes together from start to finish in about 20-25 minutes.
How To Tenderize Cube Steak?
Before you sprinkle the meat with any seasoning, you have to tenderize the steaks first using a tenderizing mallet, of course. It typically has a wooden or metal head with a bumpy surface on it which helps tenderizes the meat. Start by covering the meat up in a Ziploc bag or plastic wrap and then pound it thoroughly until you produce those cube-shaped indentations.
How To Cook Cube Steak
Cube Steaks can be cooked in different ways. You can bread and fry them, braise, or saute them. But our favorite way is to cook it in gravy so it won’t dry out. Plus, you don’t want to miss the chance of covering your warm rice or mashed potatoes with a heaping serving of this gravy. Yummm!
Can I Use Chicken Instead?
I don’t see why it won’t work. Try using the boneless and skinless ones and proceed as per the directions below.
Can I Cook Them In The Crockpot?
Yes, you can. Start off with sauteing the mushrooms and onions along with the spices and seasonings for 2-3 minutes. Then pour it into the crockpot, followed by the cube steak and then the prepared gravy mixture. Cook it on low for 4-6 hours. If you want the sauce thicker, just whisk 3 tbsps of cornstarch and 3 tbsps of cold water in a small bowl. Add it into the crockpot and turn the setting to high and cook for another 30 minutes or until gravy is thickened.
What Can I Serve With Cube Steak with Mushroom Onion Gravy?
Oh gosh, writing this blog post is making me crave some cube steak with gravy for dinner. But let me share with you some of our favorite sides for this dish before we wrap it all up:
- warm rice
- roasted garlic mashed potatoes
- green beans with bacon
- honey glazed carrots
- steamed or roasted vegetables
- easy dinner rolls to sop up all the gravy (Oh my GRAVY!)
Want This? Check Out These Other Delicious Recipes
- Swiss Steak
- Steak au Poivre
- Country-style Ribs (with video; one of our popular ones)
- Braised Short-Ribs
- Smothered Chicken (with video)
How To Make Cube Steak with Mushroom Onion Gravy
Season steak with salt and pepper. Lightly sprinkle flour on cube steak.Shake of any excess flour. Heat up skillet or cast iron on medium -high heat. Cook cube steak for about 4-5 minutes each side or until steak is brown. Remove steak and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, beef broth and water. Set aside.
Add about 2 tablespoons butter, followed by mushrooms, onion, thyme ,garlic, Worcestershire sauce and creole seasoning to the skillet, and sauté 6 minutes or until tender.
Add prepared gravy, and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about 4-5 minutes. Sauce should have thickened. Salt and pepper, if desired.
Return cube steak and drippings to the skillet. Let it simmer for about 2-3 minutes. You may adjust sauce with more broth or water until desired thickness has been reached. Remove from the stove, let it cool slightly and serve warm with mashed potatoes. vegetables , rice or whatever rocks your boat.
Watch How to Make It
Cube Steak and Mushroom Onion Gravy
- 1 -1½ pound cubed steak (4 cube steaks)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons flour
- Season steak with salt and pepper. Lightly sprinkle flour on cube steak. Shake of any excess flour.
- Heat up skillet or cast iron on medium-high heat. Cook cube steak for about 4-5 minutes each side or until steak is brown. Remove steak and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, beef broth and water. Set aside.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat, then add about 2 tablespoons butter, followed by mushrooms, onion, thyme, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and Creole seasoning and sauté 6 minutes or until tender.
- Add prepared gravy mixture to the skillet, and bring to a boil. Return steak and drippings to skillet. Salt and pepper if desired.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 8 to 10 minutes,adjust with more stock or water for desired thickness.
Tips & Notes:
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.