Ethiopian Cabbage – A healthy combination of carrots, potatoes, green pepper infused with earthy spices. Delicious vegan recipe.
Eating healthy vegan meals doesn’t always mean you have to sacrifice flavor. This is one of those recipes that truly is flavorful with earthy spices.
We often cooked cabbage carrots stew at home with meat or fish never crossed my mind, of braising it without protein. So when I found this Ethiopian Stewed cabbage, I was immediately smitten that whatever I was looking for, quickly disappeared -I had to give it a try, adding more ingredients to make it tasty.
I very seldom eat cabbage in restaurants. You know why? because it is a vegetable that is so easily ruined with over cooking-giving off a distinct smell and taste. In my humble opinion, I think cabbage is best cooked briefly.
In this recipe, cabbage is paired with carrots, onions, potatoes and a variety of bold spices- cumin, curry, garlic and cayenne pepper for some heat. You may add or subtract any spice for personal preference.
If you are up for it enjoy with this Ethiopian Chicken Stew Here
Originally published in November 2013, updated with fresh new photos
How To Make Ethiopian Cabbage
Watch How To Make It
- ½ cup olive or canola oil
- 2- cups carrots sliced about 4 medium carrots
- 1- medium onion chopped
- 2-3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon curry powder or turmeric
- 1- teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 - teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 large tomato diced
- 1- pound potatoes cut in chunks
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 8 cups chopped cabbage about ½ cabbage head
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- • In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- • Add onions, give it a minute or two then add, carrots, potatoes and tomatoes.
- • Stir in all the spices; garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, curry, white pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- • Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burns.
- • Pour in about 1 cup water to the saucepan , you may have to add more if needed. Continue to simmer for about 10-15minutes until the potatoes is almost tender.
- • Finally add cabbage and green pepper, stir Continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
- • Adjust for seasonings. Serve warm