One Pot Caribbean Jerk Chicken & Rice – A flavor explosion in a pot! Comes together quickly- chicken thighs baked to crispy perfection on a bed of fragrant rice and beans. Guys meet the latest addition to my one-pot meal dinners, yep! It was just a matter of time before this happened. And when it did it, I quickly fell in love …I’m pretty obsessed with this one-pot meal. I’m thinking how long I could get away with this before the rest of the gang starts complaining. This recipe is a combination of my Caribbean rice and beans and my Oven baked Jerk Chicken. Both of which have been readers’ favorite. And I thank you immensely for giving it a go and providing feedback. If you love both recipes then you are going to go crazy over this one. What’s not to love about less prep, less cleaning, and it’s on the table in about an hour. Here would be a great addition to your list of one-pot meals. Most of the ingredients you have already and you can pick up a few at your neighborhood market. Use my Oh-So fabulous Jerk Spice Combination here or store- bought. Though am going to be honest and say store-bought doesn’t even come close to this homemade seasoning. Just something to think about. Here I used a 12-inch skillet – one of my favorite utensils in the kitchen — because it can go from stove top to oven. You can also use a Dutch oven for this too! First you spice up the chicken, and then sear to render the fat, get the rice started in the skillet and finish it off in the oven. The chicken comes out tender, and the rice is light and fluffy. And because everything cooks together in just one pan, the rice is incredibly flavorful; the juice of the chicken enhances the rice dish, making it really quite tasty. Enjoy!!!
Watch How to Make It
One Pot Caribbean Jerk Chicken and Rice
Jerk Chicken Thighs
- 2 1/2 -3 pound chicken thighs (about 5-6)
- 1 1/2 - teaspoon salt
- ½- teaspoon chicken bouillon powder (optional)
- 1-2 Tablespoons Jerk Seasoning (Homemade here)
One Pot JerK Chicken and Rice
- 4 Tablespoons canola oil
- ½ medium onion , diced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2- garlic clove , minced
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 13.5 oz . can (1¾ cups) coconut milk
- 15.5 oz . can red kidney beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon white ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons creole spice or Jerk seasoning
- Salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 2 -2 1/4 cups chicken broth or water (If using 6 chicken thighs use 2 cups water)
- 1- teaspoon chicken bouillon (optional)
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoons paprika (optional)
- 1 green onion(for garnish) optional
Jerk Chicken Thighs
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F
- Wash chicken thighs, for faster cooking make a 1/2 " slit into chicken thigh meat on either side of the chicken wipe with a paper towel. Season with salt( about 1 1/2 teaspoons) bouillon powder,
- Rub both sides with generous amount of the spice blend( Creole, Jerk or your favorite spice mix)
One Pot Jerk Chicken and Rice
- Add about 2 Tablespoons oil in a skillet / Dutch oven or oven safe pot/pan. Then add chicken thighs skin side up , brown for about 3 minutes each, side be very careful with the chicken, it shouldn’t burn. Remove from the pan and set aside
- Wipe pan with paper towel or napkin to remove any burns from pan.
- Add another 2 Tablespoons oil, followed by onions, thyme, garlic, bay leaf and sauté until soft but not golden, about 2-3 minutes. Then add rice, beans
- And all the remaining ingredients, Chicken stock,Coconut milk, paprika, white pepper, jerk seasoning , salt and bouillon. Add chicken, bring to a boil.
- Place in the oven and cook , uncovered , for about 30- 35 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Garnish with chopped green onions if desired
- Remove let it cool and serve.