One Pot Caribbean Jerk Chicken & Rice – A flavor explosion in a pot! Comes together quickly- chicken thighs baked to crispy perfection on a bed of fragrant rice and beans. Guys meet the latest addition to my one-pot meal dinners, yep! It was just a matter of time before this happened. And when it did it, I quickly fell in love …I’m pretty obsessed with this one-pot meal. I’m thinking how long I could get away with this before the rest of the gang starts complaining. This recipe is a combination of my Caribbean rice and beans and my Oven baked Jerk Chicken. Both of which have been readers’ favorite. And I thank you immensely for giving it a go and providing feedback. If you love both recipes then you are going to go crazy over this one. What’s not to love about less prep, less cleaning, and it’s on the table in about an hour. Here would be a great addition to your list of one-pot meals. Most of the ingredients you have already and you can pick up a few at your neighborhood market. Use my Oh-So fabulous Jerk Spice Combination here or store- bought. Though am going to be honest and say store-bought doesn’t even come close to this homemade seasoning. Just something to think about. Here I used a 12-inch skillet – one of my favorite utensils in the kitchen — because it can go from stove top to oven. You can also use a Dutch oven for this too! First you spice up the chicken, and then sear to render the fat, get the rice started in the skillet and finish it off in the oven. The chicken comes out tender, and the rice is light and fluffy. And because everything cooks together in just one pan, the rice is incredibly flavorful; the juice of the chicken enhances the rice dish, making it really quite tasty. Enjoy!!!
Watch How to Make It
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”jTCYDYNO” upload-date=”Tue Aug 07 2018 11:48:32 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)” name=”One Pot Caribbean Jerk Chicken & Rice” description=”One Pot Caribbean Jerk Chicken & Rice – A flavor explosion in a pot! Comes together quickly- chicken thighs baked to crispy perfection on a bed of fragrant rice and beans.”]
One Pot Caribbean Jerk Chicken and Rice
Jerk Chicken Thighs
- 2½-3 pounds chicken thighs (about 5-6)
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon powder (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons Jerk seasoning
One Pot Jerk Chicken and Rice
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small bay leaves
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 1 13.5-ounce can coconut milk (1¾ cups)
- 1 15.5-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon white ground white pepper
- 1½-2 teaspoons Creole spice (or jerk seasoning)
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2-2¼ cups chicken broth (or water) If using 6 chicken thighs, I use 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon (optional)
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1 green onion, for garnish (optional)
Jerk Chicken Thighs
- Preheat the oven to 350℉/177℃.
- Wash chicken thighs, for faster cooking, make a ½-inch slit into chicken thigh meat on either side of the chicken, and wipe with a paper towel. Season with salt (about 1½ teaspoons) bouillon powder,
- Rub both sides with a generous amount of the spice blend (Creole, jerk, or your favorite spice mix)
One-Pot Jerk Chicken and Rice
- Add about 2 tablespoons oil to a skillet, Dutch oven, or oven-safe pot. Then add chicken thighs skin side up, and brown for about 3 minutes on each side; be very careful with the chicken, it shouldn’t burn. Remove from the pan and set aside
- Wipe pan with paper towel or napkin to remove any burns from pan.
- Add another 2 tablespoons oil, followed by onions, thyme, garlic, and bay leaf, and sauté until soft but not golden, 2-3 minutes. Then add rice and beans.
- And all the remaining ingredients; chicken stock, coconut milk, paprika, white pepper, jerk seasoning, salt, and bouillon. Add chicken, and bring to a boil.
- Place in the oven and cook, uncovered, for 30- 35 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Garnish with chopped green onions if desired.
- Remove, let it cool, and serve.