A classic summer drink that will take you to the tropics in every sip. Made with fresh pineapples, cream of coconut, rum, and some ice. A wonderful refreshing and delicious summer cocktail! Perfect for every celebration or romantic weekend date night.
Whenever I hear Pina Colada, it automatically brings my mind to the beach. A perfect getaway with my family where we get to relax to the sound of the waves and heat of the sun. Ugh! Take me there now!
Anyway, since we can’t go to the beach this year, I’m thinking of bringing the party at home instead. I’ll just enjoy my sweet refreshing coconut and pineapple cocktail with my husband while eating our favorite Shrimp Kabobs. Instant date night!
Though the beach has the best vibe, date night at home is equally romantic. Plus, we get to have an unlimited refill of our favorite drink without spending much. Okay, now I’m excited!
Why Is It Called Pina Colada?
This cocktail literally translates to “strained pineapple.” It is a delicious tempting cocktail with rum, pineapple and coconut served blended or shaken with ice. Considered well-celebrated drinks in the warmer parts of the world and even here in some sunnier parts of the U.S.
It originated in Puerto Rico during the 19th century and eventually took the world by storm. With its popularity, Puerto Rico officially named Pina Colada as its national drink and celebrates National Pina Colada Day every 10th of July. However, we don’t have to wait until July to celebrate Pina Colada Day. Oh yesss!
What’s in a Pina Colada Cocktail Drink?
The key on how to make Frozen Pina Colada relies on three main ingredients.
Pineapples. I recommend using the fresh diced chunks of pineapple. It is naturally sweeter and refreshing. Other versions use pineapple juice and taste great as well.
Cream of Coconut. Don’t confuse this with coconut milk and coconut cream. Cream of Coconut is smooth, rich, and has the thickest consistency among the three and usually added to drinks because it’s already sweetened.
Rum. The life of the party drink. White rum is commonly used but any rum will do.
Which Rum Is Best to Use?
My recipe calls for a combination of white and dark rum. White rum has this sweet and subtle flavor while dark rum adds a layer of robust flavor to this drink. Together, they make vibrant sweet, and smooth beach drinks.
Can Pina Colada Get You Drunk?
Though it may seem harmless because of the coconut and pineapple sweetness, it can actually get you drunk when consumed more than your body can handle. So drink responsibly.
You don’t need to visit the nearest bar to enjoy your cocktail. With a couple of ingredients, you can now bring the party home. What you’ll need:
- Fresh Diced Pineapple – it’s always best to use fresh ingredients. Guaranteed safe, healthy, and free from preservatives. Click here to see how I cut a pineapple.
- Sweetened Cream of Coconut – perfect for cocktails and other beverages because of its thick consistency and sweetness.
- Coconut Milk – has a smooth texture with a distinct creamy taste which sets the tropical pina colada apart from the other cocktail drinks.
- White Rum – is mostly used in cocktails because it is sweet and not too strong.
- Dark Rum (optional) – to give more alcohol kick to the tropical drink.
- Fresh Lime Juice – the citrusy taste balances the sweetness of the entire drink.
- Ice Cubes – well, everything cold is always refreshing.
- Maraschino Cherries – for garnishing, not only they are appealing to look at but they also add character to the taste.
- Pineapple and Lime Slices – for garnishing, to make it more appealing and refreshing.
- Vodka is a great substitute for rum in making a Homemade Pina Colada. It’s odorless and tasteless, making it easier for you to control the sweetness.
- Pineapple or Coconut Flavored Vodkas are easier to work with because they are already infused with flavors.
- Sweetened Cream of Coconut if this is too sweet for you or just craving it now and forgot to buy it from your last grocery trip, I got you! 😉 You can just replace it with a mixture of 1 cup of light cream and ¼ teaspoon coconut extract.
- A cup of Heavy Cream or Greek Yogurt can be a good substitute for cream of coconut. However, it won’t have a coconut taste anymore which you can fix by adding a couple of teaspoons of coconut extract.
- Pineapple Juice, sweetened or unsweetened, works fine and will give your colada drink a silky smooth texture.
- Coco Colada or Virgin Pina Colada – Same ingredients without the alcohol. A healthy drink perfect for preggy or breastfeeding mommas (and even kids!) who want some party.
- Kappa Colada – Use brandy instead of rum and add vanilla ice cream. I know what you’re thinking… alcohol and ice cream. Cocktail float! Interesting, huh? It’s like getting the best of both worlds. Awesome!
- Pina Colada Smoothie – Just add your favorite fruit like banana, strawberry, kiwi, apricot, peach, mango, passion fruit, and orange or combinations of fruits and you’ll have a fancier pina colada mix.
- Fruit Salad Pina Colada – Enjoy your fresh fruit salad with non-alcoholic pina colada dressing.
- Pina Colada Fluff Salad – Okay, whoever invented this recipe is a genius! Below are the ingredients you need to make this fluff salad.
20 ounces or 1 can crushed pineapple in juice
3.4 ounces or 1 package instant coconut cream pudding mix
1/2 cup flaked coconut or desiccated coconut
8 ounces or 1 tub Cool Whip, thawed
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
20 ounces or 1 can pineapple tidbits, well-drained
2-3 cups miniature marshmallows
Mix everything, except for pineapples and marshmallows, using a mixer or by hand until fully incorporated. And then add the crushed pineapples and marshmallows and fold them into the mixture.
Different Ways to Serve It
The original Pina Colada Recipe is actually prepared using a blender and not shaken with ice. Either way, I love them both! It’s a refreshing drink perfect for any party.
Best Pairing for Fun Cold Cocktails
Complete your tropical drink experience by pairing it with the following recipes:
- Shish Kabob
- Air fryer Coconut Shrimp
- Cucumber Salmon Cream Cheese Appetizer
- Chicken Quesadilla
- Bang Bang Shrimp
More Homemade Fun Drinks
How to Make Pina Colada?
Mix All the Ingredients
- Combine – Combine fresh pineapple, cream of coconut, coconut milk, white and dark rum, lime juice, and ice cubes to a blender cup. (Photos 1-2)
Blend and Pour
- Blend – Blend on high until smooth and frosty (slushy frozen drink consistency). (Photos 3-4)
- Pour – Pour into two tall glasses and garnish with maraschino cherries, pineapple, and lime slices. Serve immediately.
Watch How To Make It
- 2 cups (490 g) fresh pineapples diced
- 5 oz (190 g) sweetened cream of coconut
- ⅓ cup (80 g) coconut milk
- 4 ounces (120 ml) white rum
- 2 ounces (60 ml) dark rum (optional)
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) fresh lime juice
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Maraschino cherries, pineapple, and lime slices for garnish
- Combine fresh pineapple, cream of coconut, coconut milk, white and dark rum, lime juice and ice cubes to a blender cup.
- Blend on high until smooth and frosty (slushy frozen drink consistency).
- Pour into two tall glasses and garnish with maraschino cherries, pineapple, and lime slices.
- Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes:
- You can replace fresh pineapple with canned pineapple juice.
- Try experimenting with white and dark rums to find your perfect pina colada recipe.
- Use crushed ice if you don't have a blender to make a frozen pina colada.
- Buy unsweetened cream of coconut so you'll have more control of the sweetness.
- Serve your colada drink in a carved-out pineapple for a more tropical vibe.
- Do not add too much ice as it is going to melt and make the drink watery.
- Add fresh lime juice and a fresh sprig of mint to balance the sweetness of your cocktail.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on the products used.
This recipe was first posted on Apr 26, 2019.