Crispy, moist, flavorful chicken smothered in spicy jerk sauce that’s easy to make and a tastebud explosion! A Caribbean vacation right out of your oven.
I can see it coming. You will feel it after you take a bite. I love jerk chicken! Now who doesn’t? Most people who travel to the Caribbean will say it is the highlight of their trip. Well, second to coconut rum drinks – of course.
If you’ve never had the opportunity to try jerk chicken before, it’s a very popular Jamaican or dare I say Caribbean dish. It is a really spicy dish. However, it can be made mild to taste. I kept the recipe very mild. If you are a heat seeker, you can definitely add more scotch bonnet, to taste.
This comes together super fast especially after you have all the ingredients together. It is preferable to marinate the chicken overnight in the fridge for the flavors to come together.
Crispy, Moist, Flavorful chicken smothered in spicy jerk sauce easy to make and a taste bud explosion! A Caribbean vacation right out of your oven.
- I lime or lemon
- 8 chicken legs or 2 ½ - 3-pound chicken cut up
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning replace with salt and pepper or chicken spice
- 1 or more Scotch Bonnet Pepper Habaneros
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon powder
- ½ tablespoon allspice coarsely ground
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 medium onion coarsely chopped
- 3 medium scallions chopped
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger chopped
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1/4-1/2 cup pineapple Juice or water
- 1- tablespoon bouillon powder optional
- Salt and pepper to season
- Trim chicken of excess fat and pat dry with a cloth or paper napkin. Rub with lemon, and 2 teaspoons creole spice or season with salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Then add scotch bonnet pepper, garlic sauté until it turns brown about 2-3 minutes.
- Add nutmeg, brown sugar, all spice, cinnamon and continue stirring until the sugar melts and the mixture starts to clump together.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool
- Place the mixture in a food processor or blender, then add, thyme, white pepper, ginger,green onions, soy sauce, Maggi/bouillon, onion and pineapple juice . Pulse for about 30 seconds until blended
- Drench the chicken with jerk marinate, place in a zip lock bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. Try not to touch the jerk blend with your hands because it extremely spicy hot- If possible use gloves.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 425°. Remove chicken from the jerk marinade and remove excess marinate. Reserve the marinade
- Line a baking pan with foil; top with a wire rack. Arrange chicken legs out in a single layer. While the chicken legs are baking oil will slowly drip to the bottom of the baking pan.
- Bake chicken legs until cooked through and skin is crispy, about 45-50 minutes-rotate chicken half way through-roughly 20 minutes.
- In a small saucepan simmer the remaining jerk marinade and the one from the chicken for about 7 minutes. Serve with chicken or mix with chicken serve with beans and rice featured here