South African Vetkoek aka Fat Cake, crispy outside and warm and fluffy inside filled with minced curry.
Have you have been cutting back on calories? Well, It is about time to take a break and try out this South African, Iconic Street food, Vetkoek, also known as fat cake
Vetkoek in a nutshell is deep fried yeast buns that can be served as a snack, for breakfast or lunch. It is usually paired with apricot jam, cheese or with minced curry
I guess since it is February I can safely post a fried recipe without any one throwing stones at me right? Are we cool? Ok, thanks for putting up with my crazy food obsessions. I so hope you am enjoying it too!
This is one of those recipes that, I have been meaning to try out, for a long time- since the beginning of this year but decided against making it. For obvious reasons; it was January and everyone was looking for healthy recipes to kick off the New Year .
Whew! I am so glad this came out right only after two tries. If not, I would have been stuffing myself with it and having buyer’s remorse after the deed is done.I do that a lot around here.
I give myself the liberty to indulge on weekends (when am developing recipes). On weekdays, for the most part, I fairly stick to a healthy diet, mostly comprising of salmon, this quick and easy salmon , recipe here is my lifesaver. I eat it at least 2-3 times a week coupled with a salad, in between and other reduced calorie meals. So when the weekend rolls around I am famished and ready to go at it.
This vetkoek is a great, basic recipe for fried dough. A little lighter, than this other African favorite fried dough recipe here. However, they hold their own when filled with minced meat.
You know I thought about making it sweet instead of savory then decided against it… maybe some other time. Vetkoek is usually served with cheese and apricot jam or filled with minced meat. Here, I made super easy minced meat to go with it.
Watch How to Make It
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id=”kHGmyn2p” upload-date=”2020-11-24T05:39:24.000Z” name=”Vetkoek” description=”South African Vetkoek aka Fat Cake, crispy outside and warm and fluffy inside filled with minced curry.” player-type=”collapse” override-embed=”false”]
- 5 ½ cups cake flour plus more
- 2 teaspoons of Salt
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 packet yeast 2 1/4 teaspoon or .25 ounce
- 2 cups lukewarm water
Minced curry recipe
- 1 pound minced meat
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 whole onion sliced
- 1- teaspoon ground ginger
- 11/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2- teaspoon curry powder
- 2 -3 to matoes chopped
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1- cup peas and carrots
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce or cayenne pepper optional
- 2-3 tablespoons parsley or cilantro
- Salt to taste
Minced curry instructions
- In a medium-large skillet, add oil, onions, garlic, ginger, curry, paprika and sauté, for about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent any burns. Followed by tomatoes continue cooking for about 3 minutes then add potatoes and minced meat, cayenne pepper, white pepper, mix until ingredients have been thoroughly combined. Cook for about 15 minutes or more until potatoes are tender.
- Finally throw in peas, cook for another minute or two, add parsley, and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Remove from the heat and let it cool. You may prepare this a day in advance.
- In a large bowl, mix salt, sugar, water, and yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes. Add flour then mix dough until everything has come together.
- Covers loosely with a clean clothe and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1 to 2 hours or until doubled.
- Turn dough on a floured surface, flatten to knock out air bubbles and knead to make firm, you may add flour as needed
- • Roll out dough in to 1 inch thick, cut into desired shapes or use 3 inch or larger cookie cutter to cut dough.
- • In a large, sauce pan pour vegetable oil, until it is at least 3 inches (or about 5 centimeters) high (too little will result in flatter vetkoeks and place on medium heat until oil is 350 degrees.
- Fry until golden brown about 3-5 minutes depending on size. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper napkin. Let it cool
- Split in half and fill with mince meat. Serve warm