Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken- Super flavorful and Super Easy Jerk Chicken with just the right amount of heat made in a crock pot.
Now don’t go flipping past this slow cooker Jerk chicken because it isn’t grilled or baked. I promise this crockpot version is just as tasty as the other versions and is perfect this time of the year. I know you are thinking what about the crispy exterior?
Folks you can have that too with some help from your good ole broiler – all you need is a few minutes and you are good to go.
Chicken in the crockpot is totally foolproof win for everyone
Perhaps you have enjoyed Jerk chicken in your lifetime (If not, I heartily recommend doing so- it is truly life’s pleasures. Boy, it is an explosion of flavors.
If you feel too intimated by it then here is a super easy way to make the chicken in the crockpot.
But first you need the quintessential Jamaican ingredients
Scotch bonnet pepper- Check
All spice -Check Check
Some of the other co-stars are; green onions, brown sugar, nutmeg, maggi and/or bouillon powder, cinnamon and of course- chicken. This entire list of spices put together makes for one complex sauce – habanero burn, sweetness from the brown sugar and depth of flavor from the other spices. The pineapple acts as double whammy – depth of flavor and sweetness
It is really a spicy dish. However, it can be made mild to taste. I kept the recipe very mild. If you are a heat seeker you can definitely add one, two or 10 more. HECK, you can add what ever you want. Who am I to rain on your parade?
But ,PLEASE, make sure you do have plenty of water or milk to drink if you decide to go overboard, with the peppers. Cause you are going to NEED it!
Hey wait! Pair it up with this Caribbean Coconut RIce and Beans for a tropical treat.
Don’t want a slow cooker Jerk then make this Oven Version here
Or want a one pot Jerk meal I have got you covered right here
- I lime or lemon
- 6-7chicken thighs or 3 -3½ pound chicken cut up
- 2 teaspoons creole seasoning (replace with salt and pepper or chicken spice)
- 1 or more Scotch Bonnet Pepper (Habaneros)
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon powder
- ½ tablespoon allspice coarsely ground
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium green onions or scallions, chopped
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- ½ cup pineapple juice or pineapple
- 1-tablespoon bouillon powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper to season
- Trim chicken of excess fat and pat dry with a cloth or paper napkin. Rub with lemon, and 2 teaspoons creole spice or season with salt and pepper
- In a food processor or blender, combine the cinnamon, garlic, ginger, thyme, green onions/scallions, onion, habanero pepper, soy sauce, Maggi/bouillon, brown sugar, onion, nutmeg, allspice and pineapple juice or chunks. Pulse for about 30 seconds until blended
- Drench the chicken with ¾ of the jerk marinate, place in a zip lock bag and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, preferably overnight. Try not to touch the jerk blend with your hands because it extremely spicy hot- If possible use gloves or just place the chicken pieces and marinate in the slow cooker so that they are tucked tightly. Cover the slow cooker, turn it on to high, and let it cook for about 3- 4hours.
- After chicken is cooked carefully remove the chicken and place it on a broiler pan or a baking sheet covered with foil. Be careful because the chicken would be really tender. You might have to use a spatula or tongs. Add a little bit of the cooked marinate on the chicken. Adjust the rack in your oven so that the top of the chicken is 4-5 inches below the broiler. Broil on high for about 3 - 5 minutes or until the skin is crispy and deep brown. Don’t walk away from the chicken – this really acts quickly. Broilers can burn food.
- While the chicken is getting crisp simmer the the sauce from the chicken together with the remaining jerk marinade in a saucepan for about 5-7 minutes. or until reduced to desired consistency.Brush over chicken .