African Egg Roll / Scotch Eggs – Crunchy, spicy, tasty and meat-free. Portable, easy to make and great anytime!
This is a popular snack that is well loved in Africa and is variously called African Egg Rolls or African Scotch Eggs. It is a delicious nostalgia of childhood to anyone who grew up eating this from street vendors or during special occasion.
Ok, since Africa is a vast continent ,it would be wise to not generalize about it. What I know for sure is that these Scotch eggs are enjoyed in Nigeria and Cameroon.
The British who settle in these parts of Africa, introduced scotch eggs to the African population. The Africans, specifically West African countries, adapted it to suit their needs- with ingredients that are convenient and affordable- Is there a rule that scotch eggs should be made with meat only?
If you are looking for a traditional scotch egg that is covered with sausage, coated with breadcrumbs and deep-fried. Fear not! I got you covered ,with this recipe featured here.
If not, try making these – you will be rewarded with a slightly sweet, spicy and crunchy exterior . You can bake these bad boys ,to cut down on calories.
Serve this snack with this spicy sauce
Watch How to Make It
African Egg Roll/African Scotch Eggs
- 6 boil eggs
- ¼ cup Luke warm water
- ½ teaspoon yeast
- 1/3 cup Whole milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper.
- 2 oz. unsalted butter margarine
- Oil for deep-frying
- In a medium bowl add the warm water, and yeast. Set aside for 5 minutes. Then add milk, sugar, and salt
- Using a stand mixer or by hand, mix the flour, garlic powder, white pepper and paprika
- Then add butter, mix well until the ingredients have been fully incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough until it is smooth.
- Place the dough on a well-floured surface. Roll out dough about 1 inch thick.
- Using a large mouth, glass or bowl about 4 - 5 " cut out circles by gently pressing on the dough and releasing it, shaping the scotch egg dough. Continue cutting out dough until all dough has been cut- six pieces.
- Gently wrap the dough around the egg as evenly as possible, pinch the bottom, making sure there are no cracks or opening.
- Repeat the process. Set aside the egg roll.
- Cover and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat up a medium skillet or cast iron with oil up to 2 inch- medium-high heat 350 degrees F. until hot but not smoking.
- Gently drop the scotch egg with a spoon preferably and fry in batches, turning once, until golden brown, about 5-8 minutes. Do not overcrowd the pan (it will absorb excess oil, resulting in a soggy fish pies)
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the Scotch egg and place them on paper towels.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with this African Pepper Sauce.