Ground Beef Curry aka minced curry – An easy South African meal with earthy and aromatic flavors made with minced or ground beef, potatoes, peas flavored with curry powder, paprika, ground ginger and other spices. Guaranteed for a fabulous meal even on busy weeknights!
We do love anything curry in our house, especially me! There’s something captivating about that curry aroma and the earthy, perfect balance of sweet and savory with a hint of heat.
My obsession took me to making my own homemade curry powder that tastes way better than store-bought. Trust me! You won’t buy those you find at the grocery store soon after you have your first meal using my homemade curry. My top performing curry posts could attest to that. 😉
There’s so many ways you can enjoy curry flavors. And this minced curry recipe here is a great addition to your menu.
It’s waaay too easy to prepare and packed with minced meat and potatoes and peas, which is still healthy-ish, right?!? Aside from that, it uses readily available ingredients that are mostly sitting in your pantry. Even new home cooks could totally nail this minced curry recipe on a whim.
You may serve this over with warm white rice (watch out for second helpings.. 😀 ) or a tasty homemade flatbread
This ground beef curry dish knows no season; it is always as enjoyable as it is during cold or warmer days. Don’t worry! Cooking this won’t heat up the whole house. So that’d still fit as a perfect summer family weeknight meal.
How to Make Ground Beef Curry
In a medium-large skillet, add oil, onions, garlic, ginger, curry, paprika and chili pepper sauté, for about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent any burns.
Followed by tomatoes, continue cooking for about 3 minutes.
Pour in water then, bring to a boil then simmer for about 15 minutes or more until potatoes are tender.
Finally throw in peas, cook for another minute or two, add parsley, and adjust the seasoning to taste.
Remove from the heat and let it cool. You may prepare this a day in advance.
Watch How To Make It
Minced Curry Recipe
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1-2 whole chilli pepper
- 2 -3 tomatoes , chopped
- 2 cups diced potatoes , medium
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper , optional
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup Frozen peas , thawed
- 2-3 tablespoons parsley or cilantro
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 -2 cups water (more or less for desired consistency)
- In a medium-large skillet, add oil, onions, garlic, ginger, curry, paprika and chili pepper sauté, for about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent any burns.
- Followed by tomatoes, continue cooking for about 3 minutes
- Add potatoes and minced meat, cayenne pepper, white pepper, mix until ingredients have been thoroughly combined
- Pour in water then , bring to a boil then simmer for about 15 minutes or more until potatoes are tender.
- Finally throw in peas, cook for another minute or two, add parsley, and adjust the seasoning, to taste. Remove from the heat and let it cool. You may prepare this a day in advance.
Tips & Notes:
- Adjust the amount of paprika and cayenne pepper based on your heat preference and especially when serving these to the kids.
- Aside from beef, you can also use this recipe for ground pork, chicken or turkey.
- You can also throw in carrots in this recipe to go along with peas and carrots.
- You can make them in advance. Let it cool first before transferring in a tight-lid container and into the fridge.
- Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.