One Pot Cilantro Lime Chicken and Rice – healthy and filling one pan meal with rice, beans and chicken thighs seasoned well with lime juice and aromatics. Easy weeknight dinner; comes ready in less than 45 minutes!
After all the heavy stuffing during Thanksgiving and eating leftover during the weekend, it’s time to get back to regular weeknight meal. I’d like those quick and filling meal without too much cleaning. Believe me, I’ve had enough, spending almost a day cleaning up my kitchen. But nevertheless, I wouldn’t trade those memories we had during Thanksgiving.
My family is my weakness, followed by food, of course 😉
Now that we are talking food, I’m such a sucker for one pan meals. I love how easy they are to prepare and you get almost all the food group in one cooking. The cleaning part is a bonus.
This One Pot Lime Chicken and Rice with cilantro is brimming with flavors. The chicken itself is well-flavored, with a refreshing kick from the lime juice and savory adobo seasoning, while the rice and beans get soaked up to it. Add it up with some cilantro and this dish is like what dreams are made of. Adjust the lime flavor to suit your taste buds.
My niece who is visiting from college just couldn’t get enough of it. She wants me to make this everytime time she visits.
I bet you’re already mesmerized how those chicken skin looks like. But wait till you have your first bite. You will fall deeply in love on how the flavors mingled effortlessly into those chicken meat and elevated the rice and beans.
With little effort, yet with so much goodness. It comes ready in less than 45 minutes.
So if you’ve run out of energy from all the baking and cooking last week, then take comfort in this quick and tasty one pot meal. Your family and even the little ones would love seconds and thirds of this. Enjoy!
Tips and Notes:
- Adobo seasoning is a combination of oregano, white pepper, cumin , paprika, garlic, onion and chili . It is available in most supermarkets in the spice department . Sub with Creole seasoning or Italian seasoning
- You may sub white long grain rice with brown rice.
- You can also use boneless and skinless chicken thigh for this recipe.
- Lime juice can be overpowering to some people – go easy with it.
One Pot Lime Chicken and Rice
Chicken Thighs Marinate
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 1/2 -3 pound chicken thighs (about 5-6 pieces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- ½ Tablespoon lime juice (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 -1 Teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons Adobo seasoning or your favorite chicken seasoning (see notes 1)
Chicken and Rice
- ½ medium onion , diced
- ½ jalapenos pepper , diced
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin spice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2-3 garlic clove , minced
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 3-4 . Tablespoons fresh cilantro , chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth or water
- 1/2 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1 lime grated zest
- 15.5 oz black beans , rinsed and drained
- Cilantro and lime Slices (for garnish)
- 1 Teaspoon White pepper
- Salt to taste
- Wash chicken thighs For faster cooking, make a ½ ” slit into chicken thigh meat on either side of the chicken, then wipe with a paper towel. Season with salt (about 1 ½ teaspoons). Sprinkle lime juice on chicken, followed by garlic
- Generously rub both sides with adobo spice blend. Or your favorite spice mix. If desired this can be done hour before to let it marinate .
- Place chicken skin side up in a skillet/Dutch oven or oven safe pot/pan for about 3 minutes each. Be very careful with the chicken, it shouldn’t burn. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, place the rice into a large bowl, cover with cold water and use your hands to wash the grains. Tip the water out, then repeat twice until the water runs clear.
- Wipe the same pan with paper towel or napkin to remove any burns from pan. If not visible burns proceed with the next step .
- Add about 2 tablespoons oil or more, followed by onions, jalapenos, cumin, paprika, and bay leaf .Sauté until soft but not golden, about 2-3 minutes. Then add garlic and stir for another minute.
- Next, add rice, stir for about a minute , then pour over chicken stock/broth ,lime juice, grated lime zest, and beans. Season with white pepper and salt to taste.
- Add the chicken back to the pan, with its juice. Place in the oven and cook for about 30- 35 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove, let it cool and serve, garnish with slices of lime and cilantro
Wash chicken thighs. For faster cooking, make a ½ ” slit into each chicken thigh meat on either side of the chicken, then wipe with a paper towel. Season with salt (about 1½ teaspoons). Rub with lime juice . Season both sides garlic and adobo spice blend . Or your favorite spice mix.
Place chicken skin side up in a skillet/Dutch oven or oven safe pot/pan for about 3 minutes each. Be very careful with the chicken, it shouldn’t burn. Turn and brown the other side for an additional 3 minutes . Remove from the pan and set aside. Wash rice and set aside
Wipe the same pan with paper towel or napkin to remove any burns from pan, if necessary or Add about 2 tablespoons oil or more, followed by onions, jalapenos and bay leaf. Sauté until soft but not golden, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic , cumin paprika and stir for about a minute.
Next, add rice, follow by cilantro – stir
Then pour over the chicken broth/water , lime juice , zest , and beans. Add white pepper and salt to taste.
Add the chicken back to the pan together with its juice, place in the oven and cook- uncovered for about 30- 35 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Remove, let it cool and serve, garnish with slices of lime and cilantro