Sauteed Cabbage and Sausage – a fuss-free family weeknight meal that is super quick and easy to prepare and budget friendly. Guaranteed to satisfy your soul and pocket!
This dish is one of those dish that your entire family can agree to like. Kids would happily help themselves with this simple yet filling meal. It also proves that wonderful meal doesn’t need to be fancy or expensive at all.
Whenever I have cabbage in my kitchen, I can’t help but always add sauteed or fried cabbage to my menu, like this Southern Fried Cabbage HERE. For the sake of those who recently join aboard, my Southern Fried Cabbage has been on the top 10 popular recipes on my blog for quite some time.
No doubt it was a hit since it is quick and newbie-friendly to make and not to mention how this dish is coated with bacon love.
But for this Sauteed Cabbage and Sausage, we’re skipping the bacon for today and replacing it instead with smoky sausages with the addition of chopped tomatoes. They do sound simple, but trust me, you’ll jump for joy on your first spoonful.
And my (not-so) secret seasoning is this homemade Creole Seasoning here which works like a magical powder.
You can actually leave it out, but it really does add more depth and flavor into this straightforward dish. I’ve tried cooking this without the creole seasoning and it was just plain bland. Good thing hubby eat more veggies than I do. Poor guy, he really needs to show it down to this throat.
Tips and Notes:
- If you’re cleaning up your fridge, you can also add potatoes and even bacon bits for more texture and flavor.
Sauteed Cabbage and Sausage
- 12 ounce (340.2 g) sausage
- 2 tablespoons (28.4 g) or more butter or cooking oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 2 teaspoons (7 g) minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon (2.1 g) paprika
- 1 teaspoon (2.1 g) creole seasoning or more adjust to taste.
- 1-2 strips bacon
- 2 medium tomatoes , diced
- ½ green bell pepper , diced
- 1 medium medium to large head of cabbage , chopped (about 9 to 10 cups)
- 1-2 teaspoon (5.7 - 11.3 g) Worchester sauce or chicken bouillon optional adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon (1.8 g) white pepper
- 1 teaspoon (1.8 g) pepper flakes or more (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Slice or chop cabbage and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté bacon until brown this may take about 5 minutes. Let aside. Add sausage and brown for about 2 minutes.
- Add butter to the pan. Followed by onions, garlic, paprika , creole seasoning and sausage. Let it simmer for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent any burns. Add tomatoes , green bell pepper and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Then add cabbage, worcestershire sauce and white pepper, bring to a simmer, cover and let it cook for about 10-14 minutes or more depending on preference.
- Adjust for seasoning with creole seasoning ,salt and pepper flakes.
Slice or chop cabbage and set aside. In a large skillet over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp about 5 minutes – remove then add sausage and brown for about 2 minutes.
Add butter to the pan. Followed by onions and garlic.
Then add paprika, creole seasoning and bacon. Let it simmer for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent any burns. Add tomatoes.
Then add green bell pepper and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
Then add cabbage, Worcestershire sauce and white pepper, bring to a simmer, cover and let it cook for about 10-14 minutes or more depending on preference.
Adjust for seasoning with creole seasoning ,salt and pepper flakes.