Chicken Curry Recipe – an easy one-pot meal that is bursting with flavor. The most delicious curry stew; you will want to make this over and over again.
Is it just me, or did you guys know that curry is not just a spice but a balance of mixed flavors made by assembling and infusing individual spices. You know, I recently stumbled upon this information and felt just a little bit stupid.
No wonder certain brands never appealed to me – some are too spicy while others are mild and sweet. So if you are like me, make a selection based on your preference.
Are quick, easy, spicy, exotic and creamy attributes that you want for a dinner meal? Don’t sweat it! It is not far fetched. Because this chicken curry will get you everything you want…. well everything you want in a meal, and MORE.
What is chicken curry?
There are a lot of variations for this scrumptious dish. But don’t you know that aside from the Indian subcontinent, chicken curry is also widely popular in Southeast Asia and the Caribbean? Moreover, Indian curry has more depth using a variety of spices like turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom and more in an onion-tomato based chicken stew.
On the other hand, notable curries outside South Asia are often prepared with a pre-made spice mixture known as curry powder.
Nevertheless, curries are always a satisfying, flavorful and is a finger-licking good dish. This is the kind of meal where you won’t want to pull out a plate. You’ll just start digging in and then nibbling on the chicken, and before you know it you have consumed twice your portion. 😀
What are the ingredients of chicken curry?
All thanks to my homemade curry powder, this chicken has never been this easy and oh-so-tasty. You should probably know by now that whenever I can, I love making my own homemade seasonings and spices. Making your own seasoning guarantees that you know what goes into your dish and adjusting it to your preference.
Quick, easy, no additives or fillers AND it tastes way better than your store bought brands. I also added half a teaspoon of paprika for more depth and of course, and coconut milk for creaminess.
Can I use bone-in chicken thighs for chicken curry?
What I love about this chicken is that it comes together quickly and you can use whole chicken, legs, and thighs with or without bone. For a really quick meal like this one here, use boneless chicken thighs and you are set. I used about 1 1/2-2 tablespoons of curry powder; feel free to adjust according to taste and blend of curry.
Serve it on it’s own or with this rice and beans. Want more curry recipes like this? Check out my chickpea curry here for those who are vegetarian, curry fish or ground beef curry here. Actually, I just love curry that much that, in fact, I made a tons of recipes on this blog. Go check the rest of them HERE. 😉
Watch How to Make It
This recipe was first published on Oct. 7, 2014 and has been updated with new photos, a video and additional writings.
Chicken Curry Recipe
- 2-2 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs , chopped
- 1 teaspoon white pepper , optional
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 1/2 -2 tablespoons curry powder (Homemade here)
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced thyme
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 cups or more chicken broth/water
- 1 pound potatoes or more , peeled cut in medium pieces
- 12 ounce carrots and green pepper , sliced
- 2 -3 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt to taste
- Season chicken with, salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat, until hot, and then add the chicken and saute for about 3-5 minutes or until slightly brown.
- Add curry powder, onions, followed by minced garlic, thyme, and paprika. Stir for about 5 minutes for the flavors to blossom,
- Pour in coconut milk, and tomato paste, continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Then add about 2-3 cups water. Season salt and pepper and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Gently throw in potatoes, followed by carrots. Cook until potatoes are tender - 7 minutes or more. Add sliced bell pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add chopped parsley.
- Adjust sauce thickness and seasoning with water or broth, salt according to preference.
- Serve warm.
How to Make Chicken Curry
Season chicken with, salt, pepper and set aside. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat, until hot, and then add the chicken and saute for about 3-5 minutes or until slightly brown.
Add curry powder, onions, followed by minced garlic, thyme, and paprika. Stir for about 5 minutes, for the flavors to blossom.
Pour in coconut milk, bay leaf and tomato paste, continue cooking for another 2 minutes. Then add about 2-3 cups water/chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes. Gently throw in potatoes.
Then add carrots. Cook until potatoes are tender – 7 minutes or more. Add sliced bell pepper. Cook for about 2 minutes Add chopped parsley. Adjust sauce thickness and seasoning with water or broth, salt according to preference. Serve warm.