Jerk Shrimp – Crazy delicious shrimp kebab with all the deliciousness of Jerk Spice, drizzled with butter, jerk, onion and lemon sauce. Simple, succulent and so good !!!
If you are hosting a super bowl party or entertaining and you need a dish to impress; this Jerk roasted shrimp is the perfect dish to make!
Jerk is hot! And by hot I do not mean spicy, it’s captured the culinary world’s attention with it’s spicy-sweet and hot flavors.
The good thing about that is it’s quite simple to put together, especially, if you have a jar of this fabulous jerk spice on your counter. It’s a super simple condiment to make and most of the ingredients are pantry staples anyways. So why not give it a try?
There are several ways you can enjoy this jerk shrimp, here are my two favorites:
- Thread them on a skewer, season and bake
- Cook the shrimp without threading stovetop; make the sauce, add shrimp and sauté in sauce about 5 or more minutes.
- You might have to do this in batches, heat about tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place a few skewers at a time into the pan and sear on both sides until the shrimp has cooked through
I used jumbo shrimp for this recipe, which is 16-20 count. If using large or medium count you might have to thread about 3-4 per skewer. You may replace the onions with green onions and or leave it out if desired
If you want to take it up a notch then serve with this fruity Caribbean pepper sauce here. Or use your own.
You will be glad you did. And of course if you want to make this then start with this Jerk Seasoning here
- 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (about 3 medium cloves)
- 2 teaspoons jerk seasoning
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce (scotch bonnet pepper sauce is my fave)
- 1-2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable chunks (optional)
- Soaking the skewers for at least 20 minutes, totally submerged in water before using them, should prevent them from burning if grilling.
- Heat the gas grill to medium-high heat. If using a grill pan, lightly spray or oil to prevent the shrimp from sticking to the pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine thyme, garlic, jerk seasoning, olive oil, lemon juice, hot sauce, and soy sauce. Set aside.
- Add shrimp to a large bowl, season with salt, then marinate the shrimp with the jerk mixture.
- Use some marinade to rub on the vegetables, then salt to taste.
- Thread the shrimp onto the skewers, alternating the shrimp with the vegetables. Make sure the front of the skewer is fully covered with vegetables or shrimp.
- Place skewers on grill pan or gas grill.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes per side until vegetables are fully cooked. Serve warm with salad, rice, or creamy orzo.