Guys, I present to you Kachumbari – An East African, delightful onion and tomato Salad enjoyed especially in Kenya and Tanzania. Spicy, Simple and Flavorful
This salad is an absolute riot of colors once you lock eyes you can’t help but fall in love.
Then you just can’t wait to pick it up.
Kachumbari is the Swahili name for fresh Tomato and Onion Salad, the basic ingredients here are tomatoes and onions, and the rest is up to the cook. You can slice it, diced it, chop it, blend it … what ever rocks your boat. I have tried it several ways and they all work.
It may have come from Kenya but am putting my avocado spin to it and beefing it up with beef tomatoes. How do you like my pun? Ok, you don’t care about the pun. Let’s keep going.
Avocado adds some healthy fat, which makes it rich, heavy and oh so delicious. This is definitely not a condiment.
Serve on beef tomatoes and you would think you are eating a beef salad. Yes, seriously speaking. I had planned on making some steak to go with this but after eating one, two slices of this I was stuffed. If you do not care for the presentation, then just dice ingredients and mix with olive oil and lime ,vinaigrette (balsamic vinegar and olive oil). I just love the sweetness that balsamic vinegar adds to salads.
So how is this served? Well it usually served with grilled meats, as a condiment, relish or appetizer.
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1/2 large red onion diced
- 1-2 jalapeños seeded, diced
- 1 medium cucumber diced
- 1-2 garlic minced
- Juice from 1 lime
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 Beef tomatoes thickly sliced
- 1-2 Avocadoes mashed add lime to retain color
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley and basil
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Combine ingredients; tomatoes, onion, cucumber, jalapeno, lime and herbs. Season with salt and pepper
- Combine garlic, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt pepper, herbs in a blender or screw top jar and shake or process until well blended. Serve dressing with salad
- Place beef tomatoes on a plate, spread mashed avocado on tomatoes then top with kachumbari,
- If desired add more dressing